Searching for 4 inputs!!!

Nick The Man

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!:eek:
Here's what I need from everyone: Right now I have the ability to record with 16 inputs simultaneously plus 1 SPDIF. I am using a Digidesign 003 rack which has 8 inputs and an M-audio Octane which gives me the remaining 8 inputs. Currently I am using a Behringer mixer with 8 subgroup outs and sending those to the 8 line ins on the Digi 003.

What I want to do is ditch the mixer because it is HUGE and taking up way too much space, however I want to still have the ability to record with 16 channels. The Digi has 4 mic pre-amps and 4 line ins. So if I ditch the mixer I was wondering what the most efficient (space saving) way for me to make up for losing 4 inputs is? I don't know if there's any kind of unit I could put in my rack that would work? I haven't done much looking around yet cause I'm pretty lazy.

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.

PS. I plan to sell the mixer and use that money towards a Presonus Central Station! I use the mixer alot for just routing things, so this should clear that up too!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!:eek:
Here's what I need from everyone: Right now I have the ability to record with 16 inputs simultaneously plus 1 SPDIF. I am using a Digidesign 003 rack which has 8 inputs and an M-audio Octane which gives me the remaining 8 inputs. Currently I am using a Behringer mixer with 8 subgroup outs and sending those to the 8 line ins on the Digi 003.

What I want to do is ditch the mixer because it is HUGE and taking up way too much space, however I want to still have the ability to record with 16 channels. The Digi has 4 mic pre-amps and 4 line ins. So if I ditch the mixer I was wondering what the most efficient (space saving) way for me to make up for losing 4 inputs is? I don't know if there's any kind of unit I could put in my rack that would work? I haven't done much looking around yet cause I'm pretty lazy.

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.

PS. I plan to sell the mixer and use that money towards a Presonus Central Station! I use the mixer alot for just routing things, so this should clear that up too!

A Soundcraft M4 mixer has 4 preamps with direct outs on each channel and should be a noticable step up from the Behringer. Probably could then skip the Central Station. Get an M12 and you can ditch the Octane too.

OR... maybe a couple of MAudio DMP3's or if you have a little more $ a couple of FMR RNPs.

How much you want to spend? :)

Thanks for the reply! I definitely couldn't ditch the Octane for the M12. The Octane is hooked up ADAT. Plus I enjoy the Octane! The DMP3s are a great idea. I believe a while back I saw some kind of kit that you can make them rackmountable too. I'm gonna start researching. I remember looking into the RNP's but I think they might be a little outta my range at this point. I'm really just looking for something to fill those inputs, but if I found one for the right price I might just buy them! I've really wanted a Central Station since they came out. I want the remote too! I'm hoping the digital out on my 003 will work with the TOSLINK on the Central Station!

The Octane is hooked up ADAT. Plus I enjoy the Octane!
Doh, yup, the M12 doesnt have ADAT. For quality pre's, I'd put the Soundcraft M series stuff up against the Octane, but without the ADAT, not much help...

anyway, for not much $, the DMP3s are probably your best bet. I've seen rack trays that you can mount stuff to. I think the DMP3s are only 1/3 of a rack space (could be mistaken).

If you could afford it why not the focusrite isa 248 its not soooo expensive. It has 4 channels. Or just two humble dmp3s sounds good.:)

I use a Digi 002, and the I/O arrangement is pretty much the same. Those line inputs (#'s 5-8) are critical, because they give you 4 inputs that don't require digital output, and don't run through the 002's preamps. That's the place to plug in that badass, old style analog preamp. I use Behringer ADA8000 by ADAT (if I need a bunch of channels), Avalon AD2022 and a DMP-3 into channels 5-6 and 7-8, and a Joemeek twinQ by S/PDIF for 18 total tracks. In truth, 99% of everything I record goes through the Avalon or the twinQ. So- into those 5-8 inputs, you can send any line signal you've got, and it's just a matter of how much you want to spend on 4 channels of preamp. The DMP-3 is a better preamp than the Digi002's. I don't know about the 003, which is supposed to have better preamps than the 002. I've looked for a rack mount kit for a pair of DMP-3's but haven't found one.
The weird thing is- there are lots of inexpensive 8 channel pres, such as the Octane, which you own, and there are lots of dual channel pres out there, but most of the 4 channel pres are high end units, by the likes of Presonus, Drawmer, etc. Unless you want to take the plunge and shell out the big bucks, it might be that a pair of DMP3's and a rack shelf is your best solution.-Richie

Well I think it's pretty much settled then! 2 DMP3's it is! Time for eBay! Thanks for all the help guys. And you were right Richard, there is no affordable 4 channel units! I'm just fine with the DMP3's though, I'm not looking for anything extravagant.

Now the only thing I need to know is if the optical DIGITAL OUT on my 003 will work with the DIGITAL IN on the Presonus Central Station? I don't see why it wouldn't but I just want to make sure before I start forking out some $$$

I would set it to TOSLINK and I would be all set right???

Back