Seagate External Hard Drive...which?

pietro79

Hello

I've been researching for a few days now which external hard drive to buy

I'm looking for a 7200 RPM external drive, about 300 gigs, give or take

I would like to record to it (using digi 002 rack)

At first I was thinking I needed firewire 800 or it would be too slow, but now I've realized that that's silly, because the info going from my digi 002 rack to the computer is done through a firewire 400... so it's not going to be any faster after it's being output from the 002 as firewire 400... is this thought correct?

Secondly:
Of course, everyone has their personal opinions about which models are more reliable and quieter than others...

Many people in this forum have said good things about Seagate... but which model are you talking about? The FreeAgent Pro? It's a little confusing now that Seagate's bought out Maxtor...

-pietro

I would recommend a Seagate mechanism for the drive, but I've seen a good number of people kvetching about their cases. More importantly, you have no idea whether they put in a good Seagate drive, a so-so Maxtor drive, or a junk Quantum drive (since Maxtor bought Quantum a few years ago). Buying an external hard drive preassembled is like buying a car without reading the sticker to see how big an engine is in it....

Honestly, I would not buy a pre-built external hard drive from any manufacturer. They are all almost universally of lower quality than a good external case with a carefully chosen internal drive installed.

Western Digital 320gig firewire My Book is the only external hardrive ive ever purchased and I'm extremely satisfied with it. Easy to install and no problems yet.

and since your using digi 002, im assuming your using pro tools. I would reccomend using firewire since (last time I looked) digidesign hasnt tested usb 2.0 or something like that yet. In other words... if you ever have a problem with a usb connected external hardrive working with protools, their gonna shoo you away.

I would recommend a Seagate mechanism for the drive, but I've seen a good number of people kvetching about their cases. More importantly, you have no idea whether they put in a good Seagate drive, a so-so Maxtor drive, or a junk Quantum drive (since Maxtor bought Quantum a few years ago). Buying an external hard drive preassembled is like buying a car without reading the sticker to see how big an engine is in it....

Honestly, I would not buy a pre-built external hard drive from any manufacturer. They are all almost universally of lower quality than a good external case with a carefully chosen internal drive installed.

Absolutely correct! Buy an external case and then buy a drive to put in it. I used to think most external drives were like this, but recently I've seen several where the drive can't even be removed from the case! Screw that...

Digidesign recommends using a firewire enclosure with an Oxford 911 chipset. AFAIK, most consumer FW drives (WD, Seagate, Maxtor, etc) don't use that chipset.

Back