SDC's for flute, acoustic guitar, and horns?

thewanderer24

I'm looking for a fairly versatile mic and I'm thinking a matched pair of SDC's such as the Rode NT5 or the SP C4s.

I'm looking for something that can work for acoustic guitar (stereo config), flute, and potentially trumpet or sax (trumpet/sax are lowest on the list for these mics).

The C4's are definitely interesting because of the extra possibilities the omni capsules offer, and they're $100 cheaper.

Am I in the right ballpark with the C4 and NT5? Anything else that makes better or worse sense? I've seen mixed reviews of both of these for acoustic guitars, but kind of curious to hear thoughts on them doing flute and possibly horns.

thewanderer24 said:
Am I in the right ballpark with the C4 and NT5? Anything else that makes better or worse sense? I've seen mixed reviews of both of these for acoustic guitars, but kind of curious to hear thoughts on them doing flute and possibly horns.

Yes the right Ballpark, but also yes that there's lots of other good choices in the same park. Check out the Oktava MK012's (my choice for this application) and you can check out the MXL 603's as well. I would take either of these two long before the other two you've mentioned for acoustic guitar, but I haven't tried them on flute. As far as my experience with horns they do the job as well as anything I've heard but that's not much experience...

Jacob

jkokura said:
Yes the right Ballpark, but also yes that there's lots of other good choices in the same park. Check out the Oktava MK012's (my choice for this application) and you can check out the MXL 603's as well. I would take either of these two long before the other two you've mentioned for acoustic guitar, but I haven't tried them on flute. As far as my experience with horns they do the job as well as anything I've heard but that's not much experience...

Jacob

Thanks for the quick reply. I've heard endless talk of quality issues on the Oktava's and that scares me, to say the least. I will keep them in mind.

I'm curious to hear from others who have more experience with the flute and horns, as I have some fairly immediate need for recording the flute, and probably a sax as well.

thewanderer24 said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I've heard endless talk of quality issues on the Oktava's and that scares me, to say the least. I will keep them in mind.

Curious about the quality issues...but if you look around here, lots and lots of people love them.

jacob

So I was looking at the sound room for the MK012's based on comments around here. Definitely more interesting to me all of a sudden. They would offer a choice of the Cardiod, HyperCardiod, and omni capsules for the pair. Given the applications here, which would make the most sense? I am assuming either Cardiod so they could isolate better if I am tracking multiple instruments in the same room?

Peluso CEMC6s are very nice for your application. They are reasonably priced and come with interchangable capsules of your choice.

Peluso

I'll second Rick on the Pelusos. Sound great on flute, capture the tone of my Muramatsu flute beautifully, and sound clear and sparkly on the acoustic guitar. I had a quality control issue, however I was express posted a replacement immediatly, so customer service is not an issue. I also own a pair of NT5s, and the Pelusos are miles ahead of these in terms of clear and natural.

Never tried them on horns, but guess with the proper placement they would work well.

Cheers,

Dan

i use a SE1A to mic up a flortist in a jazz band i play in.

works fine on acoustic as well. i've tried it on trombone, and it didn't sound great, but i only spent like 15 seconds on it :p

Andy

wow. Reading a lot of reviews and comments here and elsewhere about the peluso's has me gassing for em in a big way. a couple hundred bucks more than I wanted to spend right now, but for mics, I guess it's better to get something I'll want to keep forever. Haven't seen anything at all that makes me hesitant.

Seems I can get em for about $600 for a matched pair. Anyone know of a better price anywhere?

The gefell's are just way too pricey for me to justify right now.

thewanderer24 said:
wow. Reading a lot of reviews and comments here and elsewhere about the peluso's has me gassing for em in a big way. a couple hundred bucks more than I wanted to spend right now, but for mics, I guess it's better to get something I'll want to keep forever. Haven't seen anything at all that makes me hesitant.

Seems I can get em for about $600 for a matched pair. Anyone know of a better price anywhere?

The gefell's are just way too pricey for me to justify right now.

Although I don't own them (I have used them), the Peluso SDs are pretty incredible for the price. They are quite nicer than the usual suspects (Oktava MC-012, Rode NT-5, MXL 603, Studio Projects C4, and don't cost much more. Interchangeable capsules are an added plus.

Big Ray is right on, the Gefell M29x Series are wonderful mics, but are pricey.

As far as trumpet goes, or other horns for that matter, many would use a ribbon mic.

Back