SDC on snare?

I use a condensor quite frequently on snares. I use it alongside a shure beta57a. I also try and line up the diaphragms as best I can for a good phase coherency. In the studio I have had good luck with AKG451's, and the Oktava Mk012's. I usually gravitate towards the cheaper condensors unless I know and/or trust the drummer. Lately my favorite has been the Oktava body with the RED R12 LD capsule. I find myself using the dynamic mic less and less in the mix with the Red capsule. Sometimes however, due to the way a drummer hits (especially on the hi hats) the condensor does not reject enough of the other things which is why I always have the beta57a out as well.

just realized this maybe belonged in the recording forum, but oh well...

anyway... I am doing some tracking this weekend. I got my buddy's Rode NT5s (matched pair), a new (to me) Oktava MK-012, an assortment of SM57s, and audix i5, and a Studio Projects C3...

I was gonna mic up the kit using the Glyn Johns technique with the Oktava MK12 directly over the snare and the SP C3 over the tom, and then throw either the SM57 or the i5 on the snare. now I'm thinking, maybe I should try one of the Rode NT5s on the snare? what do you fellas think about that?

here is the band that I'm recording:
http://www.myspace.com/galleryicon

just realized this maybe belonged in the recording forum, but oh well...

anyway... I am doing some tracking this weekend. I got my buddy's Rode NT5s (matched pair), a new (to me) Oktava MK-012, an assortment of SM57s, and audix i5, and a Studio Projects C3...

I was gonna mic up the kit using the Glyn Johns technique with the Oktava MK12 directly over the snare and the SP C3 over the tom, and then throw either the SM57 or the i5 on the snare. now I'm thinking, maybe I should try one of the Rode NT5s on the snare? what do you fellas think about that?

here is the band that I'm recording:
http://www.myspace.com/galleryicon

During your sound check, try the different ways and go with the one that fits the music best. I am bet the i5 is the way you'll go.

why isn't this done more often??

anybody tried it and if so did you get decent results?

I think you'll be surprised how often it is done.

I have used (with great success) AKG 451, Neumann KM84, DPA 4011. At home I frequently use my C1000s and an MXL 603.

I feel it gives a brighter sound. That's not to say I don't like dynamics - it just depends on the music :)

to make things more complicated... I got my Nady ribbon mic today. what do you think of throwing that over the fl tom in a Glyn Johns set up? I'm wondering about how the figure 8 pattern will work in my less than ideal/sort of treated/kinda dead-sounding basement? Only one way to find out I guess, eh?

definitely gonna try one of these Rode NT5s on the snare. I like bright snares, I usually end up boosting alot of 5k plus on the snare mic when mixing. so if a condenser gives me the high end sparkle & presence that I always seem to be looking for, WITHOUT the need for all kinds of crappy digital EQ I'll be happy...

The only problem with some condensers on snare can be hi hat. That can boil down to the hats themselves and more importantly, the drummer (how he hits).

Back