SCXD outdoor performance review (and random musings on PA power)

Gear_Junky

my friends and I played a little outdoor jam for ~60 guests. My backyard is roughly 150 ft x 150ft with woods around.

We were set-up on my deck with un-mic'ed drums, a 15" 140wt bass combo in backline (and DI'd to PA), my SCXD was also in the backline, also DI'd into PA. The other guitarist was plugged in straight into PA through my GDI21 (SansAmp clone). We have no monitors, so we used a little solid-state 30wt guitar amp as an active monitor, it worked out fine, although I'm sure an actual full-range speaker would be better.

The PA was a modest, budget 100wt (or even 90wt?) powered head with 2 speakers on stands (12"). We also used my Behringer Xenyx 1202fx for more inputs and reverb.

WE HAD VERY GOOD SOUND. We easily filled the yard, without being deafening to our guests (but we weren't timid-sounding either). I did the sound-check and I also listened to one of the songs from the back of the yard. really nice balance. I really didn't miss not micing the drums, either, except maybe for a bit of reverb.

1. The SCXD performed marvelously. On some of the songs I felt I had TOO MUCH stage volume (but we had no time to fiddle, it was acceptable). The line-out sounds very good, but again, there was no time to compare it by miking. Plus, the stage volume in this size venue was still a noticeable part of the sound.

2. The "you love to hate" Behringer gear sounded great. The thirty-dollar GDI21 (aka SansAmp GT2) via Xenyx 1202fx for some reverb - sounded really nice. I prefer playing through my SCXD, but I am totally glad that I have my Behri gadgets (I also have the BDI21 "bass DI" and ADI21 "acoustic DI"). IMHO it beats playing through an obnoxious solid-state amp and easier to set up.

3. Our PA setup was "below" the specs anyone would prescribe. My instinct would tell me to get more power and more monitors. Certainly, any Guitar Center salesman would tell you that very convincingly. Truth is, you just don't need more. Sure, having 2 monitors would likely be better, but other than that... - a nice powerful bass combo, possibly miking the kick-drum and snare-drum for a bit more punch and for reverb... a couple of 15wt tube amps, that's all you need.

We played rockabilly-type stuff, rock'n'roll, surf, but even if we wanted more distortion, it would still sound fine.

And final point: I found it much easier to get a good sound than when we practice indoors. But I ascribe that to the fact that all the amps face the middle of the room and there's likely all sorts of cancellations happening.

I also have a "sound man" question: as I mentioned we had very good sound. But I'm wondering if I could've done more. I know that "stereo" is not usually done in live situations, but would it be better if I had the 2 guitars panned left and right (according to where they/amps were standing) and would I do a full ("hard") pan or partial.

also same for bass - is it better off panned slightly or fully towards the side where the bassist/amp stand?

Thanks.

And final point: I found it much easier to get a good sound than when we practice indoors. But I ascribe that to the fact that all the amps face the middle of the room and there's likely all sorts of cancellations happening.

I also have a "sound man" question: as I mentioned we had very good sound. But I'm wondering if I could've done more. I know that "stereo" is not usually done in live situations, but would it be better if I had the 2 guitars panned left and right (according to where they/amps were standing) and would I do a full ("hard") pan or partial.

also same for bass - is it better off panned slightly or fully towards the side where the bassist/amp stand?

Thanks.

I love playing outside; it's a whole lot easier to get good sound without the walls, ceiling, and floor bouncing the sound all around and creating weird resonances. Just EQ flat and go.

As to stereo PA, I like that as well. Especially outside there's no reason not to do that, even with a small rig. If there are two guitars, I'd pan them each about 30% to the side they are standing on. If there are keys with stereo outs, then I'd pan them hard. Don't pan bass and kick drum, put them center; low frequencies aren't very directional and you want full power available for them. FX-wise, if you use a stereo chorus, pan its outputs hard. Slapback delay panned about 30% can sound really good, too.

i dont disagree with ggunn often but i'm way opposed to stereo in live situations... consider for a moment you're sitting stage left... how loud would say guitar#2 placed on the right need to be to give a good image??? now what did that do to the people sitting stage right???? make sense???

i remember reading an article in mix one time about how touring companies would try to talk artists out of running in stereo... giving a scientific version of what i just related... and they would be adamant and insist on it... the end result was the FOH guy would just pan everything center and leave it at that... best overall sound ... only thing they would do is put some of the FX in stereo to give it some motion...

Last edited:
i dont disagree with ggunn often but i'm way opposed to stereo in live situations... consider for a moment you're sitting stage left... how loud would say guitar#2 placed on the right need to be to give a good image??? now what did that do to the people sitting stage left???? make sense???

i remember reading an article in mix one time about how touring companies would try to talk artists out of running in stereo... giving a scientific version of what i just related... and they would be adamant and insist on it... the end result was the FOH guy would just pan everything center and leave it at that... best overall sound ... only thing they would do is put some of the FX in stereo to give it some motion...

I have heard some spectacular sounding stereo PA's; it is very doable to build stereo imaging that does not cheat anyone in the audience no matter where they are sitting, even on a small scale. I have done it myself many times. IMO, there is no reason not to run stereo; as dc has pointed out, you can always pan to center if you don't like what you are getting. You don't have to pan everything, either, or even most signals. Centering everything and putting a fat stereo chorus hard panned on a vocal or guitar solo can sound really good.

Sure, in some applications you couldn't hear the stereo effect even if it was there, and in others it would do more harm than good, but when it works it is very cool. I always run stereo so that I can add some imaging or not as the situation dictates. If you are wired for mono, then you don't have the option.

IMO anyone who claims that stereo PA's never work have just never seen/heard it done well.

ok, I certainly understand the reasons "not" to do it.

but in my situation, I wonder if the backline amps would also contribute to overall sound @ FOH (and thus fill the potential gap)?

BTW, at our venue we had the main speakers up on stands on the "stage" (deck) and they were as far away from each other as possible - about 20-25 feet. They were pointing slightly towards the middle axis.

In our situation the audience would not be sitting to much to the left or right - there's plenty of room in the center.

So, in view of all of the above, the recalibrated answer would be... ?

thanks!

I Love my SCXD. Just throwin' that out there. As of now, after about 4 months of this amazing little amp, I'm still convinced I'll never need a new one.
Glad to hear it holds up well in situations such as yours.

Me too! I've recommended it to everyone I know so far. It's just hard to get people to notice. Ideal combo of tone and features (and value).

I Love my SCXD. Just throwin' that out there. As of now, after about 4 months of this amazing little amp, I'm still convinced I'll never need a new one.
Glad to hear it holds up well in situations such as yours.

ok, I certainly understand the reasons "not" to do it.

IMO, there is never a reason not to run stereo. Of course, stereo-ness is a matter of degrees ranging from full detailed imaging to everything panned center, and I tailor the mix and panning to fit the venue and audience space.

lol... ok we got that the first time... and since you add the imo disclaimer why not add that there are those that disagree.... lol... later gunn.. oh and YMMV...

lol... ok we got that the first time... and since you add the imo disclaimer why not add that there are those that disagree.... lol... later gunn.. oh and YMMV...

Well, yes, there are those who disagree, and I've had loud protracted arguments with some of them. They are idiots and not fit to wash my feet. ;^)

IMO, FWIW, DSFDF, and YMMV, of course.

Back