SCSI and IDE compatible?

kennedy connor

I have a pc that has a scsi C: drive and I would like to put an ide drive for storage. IT's HP kayak running 98SE. This may be an obvious question but I sure don't want to waste time putting in the drive if it won't work.
Thanks

SCSI nad IDE are not compatibe bu I doubt that your motherboard doesn't have IDE connectors.

I have just the opposite setup - IDE for my apps/storage and SCSI for only my audio files. It works great. I would think it would work the other way.

Good luck.

They are not compatible with each other -- an IDE controller can't control a SCSI drive, nor the other way around -- but both controllers can co-exist on the same computer just fine.

If you want to use both, be prepared for some problems. I have tried it a few times, but mostly troubles. Most painful was W98 made no difference between a scsi disk and an ide and formatted both. Lost 8 days recording with that.

If however you want cheap large scsi storage and can take a bit of performance loss, check out the ACARD AEC-7720UW. This thing converts an ide drive to a UW-SCSI, completely transparent! You get up to 40MB/s if your drive can deliver it. Very cheap if you compare the price of a 60GB ide vs scsi.

This is interesting. Ours started with a SCSI c drive, cdr, later added IDE drives, one audio, one removable b/u. (win 95) It's been very user friendly and stable.

I've mixed SCSI and IDE on w98, NT4 and W2000 and never had problems with that.

My system is 4 years old (antique, I know) and I honestly don't know that much about specs regarding drives, latency etc... but for the music I am doing it sounds great. As I get more into new and 'better' softare, my knowledge of such info is expanding...much. I also know that it's a basic adaptec controller which has allowed my SCSI ultrawide to perform flawlessly. Yes, I understand the seperate SCSI controller is needed (reading back I realize that that wasn't made clear - sorry), but the fact is I have had zero problems with the two drives co-existing. Currently I just upgraded to XP PRO and things are still working like a champ.

Well, I can only relate what happened. Just shows that ymmv. At the moment I'm trying to install NT on an ide disk with the cdrom on scsi, and the install dies with the message "boot device not reachable". Never take anything granted with pc's.

They can co-exist fine, but normally if you have both you need to boot from the IDE drive. On newer motherboards there is a BIOS switch that can override this.

I would go along with Gascap - if you have a fast SCSI controller, use that for recording and data and use the IDE for OS & apps.

this is not an audio machine(recording)

the sole purpose of this pc is for the family to do their cdburning etc i have a seperate pc for audio only. I simply wanted to expand the capacity of the machine to keep mp3s and what not with out having to store data to cdr. It took almost 48 hours to install 98 on a nt machine so i really don't want to install any more OS's on the C: drive. The SCSI hopefully can stay as the OS drive ?

Again, I am learning as I go when it comes to this type of thing, but apparently there is an IDE controller PCI card made by 'Promise' (@ $30 u.s.) - which apparently is a good way to go when adding/expanding IDE hard drives. I believe this controller is built in to new ASUS boards, but my non-ASUS Mboard is too old for that. If anyone can shed any light on this, please do - it may be something to look into for your solution.

All motherboards (except maybe a few really odd ones) have two IDE connections, which can host two IDE devices each. So, all motherboards can have up to four IDE devices.

If you need more, you can add an IDE controller card that gives you (usually) two more IDE connections. Some of these controller cards have built-in support for RAID others just provide plain IDE conntections

Some newer motherboards have four IDE conneciton for a total of eight IDE devices.

Some motherboards have a built in SCSI connection. If not, you need a SCSI controller card if you want to use SCSI devices.

Back