screwing the pups

Bass Freak

ive noticed those screws on either side of my split p-style pups on my p-style p-bass

are they there just to hold the pups in place? or can you adjust the height?

and if so, how far away should they be from the strings? and i noticed, in gc, i was playing a p-bass and the pups were slanted big time in the middle and not on the outsides, so they would be like \ / if you follow

so, whats that all about?

freak

"screwing the pups "

first off.....lmfao

second...yeah they adjust height...i saw the whole angled deal too, never understood why, etiher...i usually just adjusted it so i had a good thumbrest hegiht lol, but the ones on my P/J set are like flat

Yes the pickups are adjustable with those screws. Pickup height will be based on string height and your playing style. With your highest string fretted at the highest fret, adjust the pup so it's clearing the string by an 1/8". Now adjust the other side of the pup, so the strings sound balanced. Repeat process with all pups. If you're an aggressive player or do lots of slapping, you may require more clearance.

dont worry, i was confused too

so....an 8th of an inch level across the pups? does this go for all pups? why 1/8? is it the magic number?

freak

Bass Freak said:
dont worry, i was confused too

so....an 8th of an inch level across the pups? does this go for all pups? why 1/8? is it the magic number?

freak

It is not, but it is probably as good of a number as any. Most of the time, we set them as high as they can go without causeing exsesive pull on the strings, which can pull the instrument out of tune, but an eighth of an inch will work find. Do that for one string, and then match the volume of the other strings to that one.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back