screaming with a condensor mic

LAWL_im_so_EMO

Hello
I like a wide range of music and i love recording many different types of music, ranging from pop, emo, rap, country, and even death metal.

I just bought a fairly cheap condensor mic (AT3035) and so far its been really good for my clean vocals.

BUt now im planning on recording some metal stuff, and im just wondering are there any extra precautions i should take?

SHould i be further away? SHould the pop filter be closer to my mouth or the mic?

Thanks.

ANd by the the way, when i mean screaming, i mean stuff life this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFx85CfMvWI

well...it'll handle 148db spl so ya should be fine.
The thing I'd pay more attention to would be mic technique.

my thoughts...
;)

what do you mean by mic techniques?
tyhanks

Ever notice in film where someone is singing in the studio that when they start to belt it out they back off or tilt there head back? that's working the mic with technique....one could as well stay real close and get a proximity affect that a lot of crooners would use to their advantage.

:cool:

Last edited:
Ever notice in film where someone is singing in the studio that when they start to belt it out the back off or tilt there head back? that's working the mic with technique....one could as well stay real close and get a proximity affect that a lot of crooners would use to their advantage.

:cool:

o yea i do tend to actually stay back fairly far even for singing vocals.

Doesnt the proximity effect kill off your end higher end frequency spectrum though?

I think you mean "accentuate", not "attenuate", the low end.

ie: get right up on top of the microphone & it gets more bassy.

I have an AT3035, and I don't find it particularly flattering. It's kind of gritty / grungy sounding, or it could just be my voice. Which could work for some genres, just not any that I'm into at the moment. Disclaimer: not a singer. AT4040 or AT4050 would likely be better IMO. The 3035 is nice when talking at a respectable volume and within that 1' range.

The pop filter is there to manage the P's and plosives of air. Put it where it's most effective. 1" to 6" IMO. Somewhere near 4" works for me, but it's of little use if it's not between the source and the mic. So if the source is a mover, you might want it closer. If the source is a breather, you might want it farther. If the source is a heavy breather you might want a dual layer version.

Back