Screaming vocals.

chrishisey

okay, need some quick seggestions, I have a home studio that I use to record local bands... I'm looking for a preamp/good plugin/E.Q ideas. that would do well on screaming vocals, like such:

To respond to my own post. A good ratio of compression. and Slight distortion will get the sound of the mp3 I posted. That no longer exists. If the screem doesn't have enough fry or grit. Use distortion. otherwize light re verb and compression.

There is currently a thread in recording techniques on this topic. It helps to start with the right mic. An SM 58 or SM-7, or any good dynamic mic tends to work best during capture.
As far as mixing. Parallel compression can work to beef it up. I would think EQ is going to be song, arrangement and instrumentation specific.

Dynamic mic, tons of compression, a little bit of distortion (optional), mix it a little hot (kinda hyped highs), tiny bit of reverb/delay. This gets the screamo (underoath) sorta sound. For death metal / more guttural vocals do the same but mix less hot, add a bit more reverb. This has worked for me.

Back