Screaming, squealing Line6POD or Strat?

Hello,
I'm not a full blown guitarist but I like to occasionally pick and record on my (entry-level) Mexican Fender Strat with stock single coil and humbucker pickups through a Line6 POD 2.0. Everything has been working flawlessly until recently. I've recently had a problem with the guitar squealing a really bad high pitched feedback excessively both through my amp or even direct into the computer using headphones only. I think the problem might be in the POD OR (hopefully) in a cord somewhere since a friend and I hooked up a nice Schecter guitar as well as an el-cheapo Hamony this last weekend and the same happens to all the guitars. I don't have any extra cords to try and I live quite a distance from a music store but if that's what the likely culprit is, I'd be willing to purchase new cords lickity split. I just hope it's not my POD. Any one else with a POD ever had this problem or just a squealing problem due to a bad cord? If I fiddle with the POD settings enough, I can get the squeal to go away but I lose all the nice tone yet fiddling with the cords doesn't seem to help.

Check to make sure you don't have any electronics or magents that cold be interfering with the pickups of the guitar. I've used my Pod Pro for years and have never hand a problem...

fritzmusic said:
Hello,
I'm not a full blown guitarist but I like to occasionally pick and record on my (entry-level) Mexican Fender Strat with stock single coil and humbucker pickups through a Line6 POD 2.0. Everything has been working flawlessly until recently. I've recently had a problem with the guitar squealing a really bad high pitched feedback excessively both through my amp or even direct into the computer using headphones only. I think the problem might be in the POD OR (hopefully) in a cord somewhere since a friend and I hooked up a nice Schecter guitar as well as an el-cheapo Hamony this last weekend and the same happens to all the guitars. I don't have any extra cords to try and I live quite a distance from a music store but if that's what the likely culprit is, I'd be willing to purchase new cords lickity split. I just hope it's not my POD. Any one else with a POD ever had this problem or just a squealing problem due to a bad cord? If I fiddle with the POD settings enough, I can get the squeal to go away but I lose all the nice tone yet fiddling with the cords doesn't seem to help.

If you've only got one guitar cable, then you're asking for trouble no matter what the cause of your prob. Get a couple more guitar cables at your earliest convenience; swapping cables is your first level of troubleshooting.

I had a bad cable once that sounded like that going into a Marshall with lotsa gain; it could be your culprit.

I'm happy to report back that it was indeed a bad cable...the only one I didn't ever try to replace of course. whew. That was a close one. Thanks for the help.

Back