Scratchboard Demo - "Up & Down" - Jam piece

K-dub

This was us working in the studio yesterday on a new -- kind of jam piece. We follow a flexible structure, and tend to wing it. This is a live take off the board of the last pass.

There are warts, as all vocals and instruments were active through the monitors ... and so bleed is a challenge. I forgot to come in on the keys in a part etc ...

Accordingly, no worries about the recording quality. This is a scratchpad demo of the song as we experimented with learning and playing it. We actually recorded it just so that we could remember what we came up with later. Our memories aren't what they used to be.

I'm sharing it because for live and flying by the seat of our collective pants, it came out pretty well, I think. It's kind of different tune. Lots of harmonies and dynamics.

Cool, kinda Phish-like. Seems pretty loud overall, limiter might be working to hard on the master bus... Bass seems a little hot at times too.

Seems like the left guitar, and maybe the vocals, are clipping at times. Drums sound over-compressed as well. For a scratchpad demo not bad at all though. Cool organ sounds halfway through before the break, nice bass fill too.

Lead vocals need a high-pass filter it seems. Sometimes the background vocals seemed panned a little too far, taste thing though.

Again, not bad at all for a scratchpad live recording.

Cool, kinda Phish-like. Seems pretty loud overall, limiter might be working to hard on the master bus... Bass seems a little hot at times too.

Seems like the left guitar, and maybe the vocals, are clipping at times. Drums sound over-compressed as well. For a scratchpad demo not bad at all though. Cool organ sounds halfway through before the break, nice bass fill too.

Lead vocals need a high-pass filter it seems. Sometimes the background vocals seemed panned a little too far, taste thing though.

Again, not bad at all for a scratchpad live recording.

You are absolutely correct on every single observation. Now I know more about your ears than I did. This is done as demo live. It was not sanitized for mixing protection.

Thanks J!

Back