Scrape Yourself Off The Floor

Ten minutes and forty five seconds? You did that on purpose. ;)

It's a good rock groove. Good playing. Guitars sound good. A bit much on the cymbals. Kick and bass sound right. I like the snare.

Here's my plan: Take about 16 or 24 bars of the first groove. Make that your intro and first verse. Cut to the change that comes around 5:20. Use 8 bars of that as a pre-chorus. Get rid of the filler that follows and cut right to 6:10. Take 8 or 16 bars of the part that begins there and build your chorus out around it. Get a vocal melody and some lyrics going. Or build something out of that vocal that starts around 6:45. Hire Tommy Iommi to drop a solo in, and you're good!

Ten minutes and forty five seconds? You did that on purpose. ;)

It's a good rock groove. Good playing. Guitars sound good. A bit much on the cymbals. Kick and bass sound right. I like the snare.

Thanks Robus! I think the vox on this one's actually gotta come up..
This is actually only half the song, hence the rough chop.

Here's my plan: Take about 16 or 24 bars of the first groove. Make that your intro and first verse. Cut to the change that comes around 5:20. Use 8 bars of that as a pre-chorus. Get rid of the filler that follows and cut right to 6:10. Take 8 or 16 bars of the part that begins there and build your chorus out around it. Get a vocal melody and some lyrics going. Or build something out of that vocal that starts around 6:45. Hire Tommy Iommi to drop a solo in, and you're good!

Here's my plan: No. ;)

Love the groove and the tune. I've always liked your stuff (Mazy?). Love the tone on the guitars. I assume this is under construction?

Love the groove and the tune. I've always liked your stuff (Mazy?). Love the tone on the guitars. I assume this is under construction?

Hey, thanks Mike for the kind words.
Well, there are a couple parts I might retrack, but this arrangement's been set for a few years. Was there anything in particular that sounded "under construction" to you? Like I mentioned to Robus, this is only half the song..which is why it chops off abruptly after the glockenspeils come in. :D

This is actually only half the song, hence the rough chop.
You mean there's more of this?!

Here's my plan: No. ;)
I mean, you do you, certainly. Don't let anyone tell you what you have to create.

That being said, it does drag a little at the beginning.

The mix sounds coherent. Everything seems to have its place. I can't really speak to the gestalt of the song because I can't really stand mid-tempo jam songs. I got about 90 seconds in before I started skipping large chunks! :D

Oh. There are the vocals! Actually... when those come in, the balance seems a little weird. The vocals, and the instruments that mirror them are all really loud, but the other guitars are super-quiet. It makes the overall volume swing a bit more than really makes sense I think (and the quiet guitars get completely buried). I might take the vox and matching guits down a bit.

Guitars sound real good. Maybe a wee too much high mid-range - like in the 2400hz range. But just a bit.

Bass might be just a bit too loud.

Drums sound real good. Maybe just a splash of verb on the snare?

Most excellent. So many different twists and turns later on. Mix sounds great. No complaints.

The ending was fantastic. I thought it was that music box, but I guess it was a glock?

The mix sounds coherent. Everything seems to have its place. I can't really speak to the gestalt of the song because I can't really stand mid-tempo jam songs. I got about 90 seconds in before I started skipping large chunks! :D

Hey VHS, thanks! Ouch.. midtempo, ay? I guess I was going for outright "slow" on this one. Appreciate the 90 seconds FWIW!

Oh. There are the vocals! Actually... when those come in, the balance seems a little weird. The vocals, and the instruments that mirror them are all really loud, but the other guitars are super-quiet. It makes the overall volume swing a bit more than really makes sense I think (and the quiet guitars get completely buried). I might take the vox and matching guits down a bit.

That's weird because I haven't gotten the thing with the quiet "guitars" (it's a git/organ blend) in the second part yet, but I've been kind of lazy about playing it in all of my referencing environments.

left it playing while i caught up on the forum ... then downloaded it :D

Thanks man, can't help but love comments like that. Guess I'm shallow.

Guitars sound real good. Maybe a wee too much high mid-range - like in the 2400hz range. But just a bit.

Bass might be just a bit too loud.

Drums sound real good. Maybe just a splash of verb on the snare?

I'll give it a shot and see how it sounds. Thanks again M[SUP]3[/SUP].
I was thinking that myself about the bass.

Funny about the gits, I listened earlier today and thought they might need MORE upper mids so I'll have to check that out more carefully. Thanks!

Most excellent. So many different twists and turns later on. Mix sounds great. No complaints.

The ending was fantastic. I thought it was that music box, but I guess it was a glock?

No. Freaking. Way. Closest thing to a bigfoot sighting I'll likely ever experience.
Where've you been??

Um, yeah that's the glockenspeil at the end, but I'm not crazy about how it tracked here. The transients seem a little harsh, or "punchy" or something.. I was thinking about replacing it with this music-box sounding little toy I have that takes punch-cards, so you can basically program the melody and crank it through, and it makes a music-box sounding thing of your melody.

yeah,
It's cool, long and an adventure but it's cool. I think the bass is just a little too loud or too present but I like what it's doing.
Are you the HR Bob Weir/Gerry Garcia?
Actually I like your stuff more than the Dead.
Did you record the drums in one pass & did you then pass out?

Hey VHS, thanks! Ouch.. midtempo, ay? I guess I was going for outright "slow" on this one. Appreciate the 90 seconds FWIW!

That's weird because I haven't gotten the thing with the quiet "guitars" (it's a git/organ blend) in the second part yet, but I've been kind of lazy about playing it in all of my referencing environments.

ha ha! A lot of people get mad if you call their songs "slow". I figured mid-tempo was a safer thing to say! :D

There's an organ in the siren-esque line? Huh. I hadn't caught that.

yeah,
It's cool, long and an adventure but it's cool. I think the bass is just a little too loud or too present but I like what it's doing.

Thanks a lot Ray, really appreciate it. I'm hearing the bass too loud, or barely there at all depending on my listening environment right now so I'm having a tough time deciding what to do with it..

Are you the HR Bob Weir/Gerry Garcia?

Hm, I might be more like the Ungrateful Dead.

Did you record the drums in one pass & did you then pass out?

I'm pretty sure I did the two "sections" of this seperately, but the drum tracks here are a year and a half old so it's tough to remember. I actually thought they were a little stiff here and there so I retracked them last night and I'll probably post a new mix after I redo the bass.

Actually I like your stuff more than the Dead.

Dang, if I knew they were listening I definitely would have posted a better mix.

ha ha! A lot of people get mad if you call their songs "slow". I figured mid-tempo was a safer thing to say! :D

There's an organ in the siren-esque line? Huh. I hadn't caught that.

Yeah, I think it might indeed be the dreaded midtempo at least for the first few minutes, before the time halves.

Two new fleet songs in as many weeks! Always a treat to see some new Harvest Home/Aztec Ladies/Nantucket Milk Maidens or whatever the hell you're calling yourself this time round...

I listened a couple of times over the last few days, and it's sounding great. Plenty of stuff to keep the interest and I thought the recorder/glockenspiel ending was pretty fucking cool. The only thing that caught my ear as off was that the vocals came across as a bit hyped on the la la la's to me - like whatever the processing was was a little high, and so they fizz a bit. No big issue.

So how much is left after the abrupt ending cut? I figure anyone who can stay the course for the 10+ minutes probably has the stomach to see it through :)

Not Dead, but a heavy jam-band feel to the first half. Only nit would be the toms which have a high frequency component to them, but little low end. You don't use them a lot, so its easy to miss.

Great rock groove. Very creative I must say. I can't believe some say 10 minutes is long. One of my favorite tunes is "Whipping Post" off the Allmans Fillmore East album and it went over 20 minutes.
great effort!

Two new fleet songs in as many weeks! Always a treat to see some new Harvest Home/Aztec Ladies/Nantucket Milk Maidens or whatever the hell you're calling yourself this time round...

I listened a couple of times over the last few days, and it's sounding great. Plenty of stuff to keep the interest and I thought the recorder/glockenspiel ending was pretty fucking cool. The only thing that caught my ear as off was that the vocals came across as a bit hyped on the la la la's to me - like whatever the processing was was a little high, and so they fizz a bit. No big issue.

So how much is left after the abrupt ending cut? I figure anyone who can stay the course for the 10+ minutes probably has the stomach to see it through :)

Thanks Rob, I'll look at those la-la-las next time I work on this.

I posted a rougher demo-y version of this awhile back when Chater used to do those "songwriting contests". The whole shebang's about 22 minutes long, basically an album side. The section that follows slows down even more and trickles almost to a stop, then kicks back up into an altered reprise of the intro jam and then melts into a 2-minute bed of layered guitar feedback. I chopped it halfway through to make it more radio friendly. ;)

cool guitar chords......
at the opening....
dig the cool laid back vibe,
and the slide

i don't mind the long introduction, cuz the change is nice.....

drums sound good. i would add more point on the kick, get it to really stick out a bit more.

ok, by 1:37, i want to hear something happen. this is where i would cut to the vox....
i mean, i dig the jam up to 5:07, but i probably wouldn't listen to this but once, it just doesn't have enough going on.

ok, 5:41......
there's some hope something's gonna happen....

waiting...
waiting....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

6:44,
ok, i'm hearing cookie monster.
actually, if you could do the vocals like Brent (Mastodon) that would actually be pretty cool...
or ozzy....
but it's unintelligible.....
ok, you lost me.

Back