Scored some KRK Rokit 8s (G1) for $300.

austinm08

the pigeon knows the way.
Ordered some Auralex MoPads to go with them. Now I just need some bass traps and diffusers.

It's the first time I've invested in monitors. I've always relied on either Sennheiser HD280 Pros or AKG 271 MKIIs (headphones). I'd like to be able to afford some nicer monitors, but for now, these'll do. I think I'll save up for those Trident HG3s that Harvey Gerst is in on. They have been hyped and praised a lot..

Question regarding the KRK Rokit 8s: is there a way to attenuate the low end? I've heard they're bass-heavy. It looks to me like there's only a high frequency level adjust knob. Darn.

I can't wait to have these in my little 'studio' at home... woohoo. :cool:

That's a nice buy, congrats! If there's not a control for it, then turn up the highs and turn the overall volume down. That'd effectively lower the bass. But for the record, I don't think rokit 8's are that bass heavy at all. Unless the G1's are that different from the G2's that I use. I even have a sub in my setup.

i have the gen 2's and have no problem with the the LFs or LMFs, it may be the type of music i do but they sound fine...the mopars certainly help isloate them from the desk, i dont have stands, but even so they sound fine on most types of music

as far as tweaking them i have them how they left the factory in a shit room...and they've definitely help improve me on the two mixes ive done on them so far

That's a nice buy, congrats! If there's not a control for it, then turn up the highs and turn the overall volume down. That'd effectively lower the bass.
I considered that, but it doesn't really seem like it'd be the best way to handle it. I suppose it's the ONLY way to, though :cool:

i have the gen 2's and have no problem with the the LFs or LMFs, it may be the type of music i do but they sound fine...the mopars certainly help isloate them from the desk, i dont have stands, but even so they sound fine on most types of music

as far as tweaking them i have them how they left the factory in a shit room...and they've definitely help improve me on the two mixes ive done on them so far
I think I'll be running into a dilemma as far as my desk configuration goes. The only way I can put them on my desk will leave them being way too high. I'll probably have to build or buy some stands.. heh

Glad to hear that you don't think the G2s are too bass-heavy.
The main difference is the shape of the structure that holds the speakers.. which is supposed to improve the sound in some way.. but I'm not sure what it does for the bass.

I just got to try out my new monitors yesterday.

I've been spending a lot of time at the studio at my school using Mackie HR824s and it's so nice having a pair of monitors at home now. Woohoo.

I just got to try out my new monitors yesterday.

I've been spending a lot of time at the studio at my school using Mackie HR824s and it's so nice having a pair of monitors at home now. Woohoo.

Cool! However, if you're used to 824's, I think the rokit 8's are REALLY gonna be light on bass for ya. 824's cost double the rokit 8's, but they sound twice as good. They were in a different room tho, so I'm positive that accounted for some of the difference. 824's are the best monitors I've heard (I haven't heard many)

Having heard both, what's your opinion?

Cool! However, if you're used to 824's, I think the rokit 8's are REALLY gonna be light on bass for ya. 824's cost double the rokit 8's, but they sound twice as good. They were in a different room tho, so I'm positive that accounted for some of the difference. 824's are the best monitors I've heard (I haven't heard many)

Having heard both, what's your opinion?

I didn't notice them being much lighter in bass than the 824s. It would be much easier to answer that question if I could A-B them with less time in between and in the same room. I went over a day between hearing the 824s and hearing my Rokit 8s. I would like to be able to do a proper comparison, though.

Perhaps one of these weekends when I go home, I'll make it a point to listen to a particular tune on the 824s before I leave and then again on the Rokits as soon as I get home.

Back