Scored some Event 20/20 bas monitors! Are the 1/4” monitor outs of TASCAM M320b balanced?

I know a few of us own or owned one of these Tascam series mixers. Are the 1/4” L & R monitor outputs balanced TRS connections? The manual didn’t specify.

I’m trying to buy the best cables and I’d like TRS 1/4” at the mixer to XLR male at the speakers. But I’m doubting the Tascam has balanced monitor outputs. So I may just buy a couple 1/4 to 1/4 cables.

Thanks in advance!

What‘s the issue with unbalanced. I use XLR cables for everything simply because I have so many. Jack’s are reserved for guitars and short patches. I have quite a few unbalanced jacks to xlr, just short adapter cables that live with the unit, not in the cable trunk. Then linking things is quick.

What‘s the issue with unbalanced. I use XLR cables for everything simply because I have so many. Jack’s are reserved for guitars and short patches. I have quite a few unbalanced jacks to xlr, just short adapter cables that live with the unit, not in the cable trunk. Then linking things is quick.
I don’t think there’s an issue with unbalanced unless the cable is prone to noise or long lengths. I just wanted to get balanced cables if that was an option because I guess they’re superior.

No - they're just balanced, which at line level is far less important. In audio terms, there's no difference in sound quality. You just lose the rejection capability, but that's rarely an issue, apart from potential ground loops, because you cannot disconnect the ground.

I have the Event ASP8s and previously ran unbalanced (TS -> XLR) from M-Audio FW 410. Initially, I hit a ground loop that caused me to look for a cheap solution. I found somebody suggested a resistor soldered at one end. More recently I got a balanced output interface and everything has been great with balanced cables (TRS -> XLR).

ASP8s are active, so the signal going in is line level. Point being, even at line level, I had a problem.

From memory the only TRS that was in these was the effect sends. A monitor out is only feeding an amp so why the need for a balanced source? Balanced is a way oversold thing. You only need CMR cables when running super long runs and or if in the presence of a transmitter. Balanced might not help there either. There were half track out that were XLR on mixers that could be used with a balanced amp input otherwise just use a converter like the MCM box. The service manual will tell you what is there if you need to know. I used to own one of these but sold it.

I'm assuming these 20/20s are the active ones then? I remember back when I wanted some 20/20s, but they were passive.

Heck, I'd still like some passive 20/20s.

Back