School Project Rap/Freestyle. Need input on what effects to use before due date. THX!

crewxp

Song: MP3 DIRECT DOWNLOAD

Hey, we were assigned a project to create a rhyme,skit, or anything of the sort that describes our motivation in our lives right now.

For me and my group, it was going big, doing something important in life.

Well.... we made a small song using our computer lab's Adobe Audition.

Can anyone listen to it and tell us what effects we can use to make it sound 'better'/'fuller'/ or just.... something that the professor would actually like?

Right now, it sounds HORRIBLE. (on one of the members requests....) we just re-recorded each line 2 times and panned each line to a channel. So... it kind of sounds like an echo. That was supposed to make it sound 'better'/'fuller' according to him. But im thinking of taking the extra 2 tracks out (the echo), if I can find effects to use on the tracks to bring out the VOCALS more and make them sound better. Oh yeah, we also tube-modeled compression'd and then normalized every track in our session because the vocals werent loud enough.

This is 25% of my summer class's grade, so im just trying to get an outside opinion and do the best that I can possibly do before I turn it in!

Setup: Line 6 UX2 Toneport via USB into Adobe Audition.
One master vocal track, 2 additional L/R panned tracks on top of it. Instrumental in background.

Rap Production

Well, I'm not in a place where I can listen to it except on laptop speakers, but I'll give you a suggestion or two.

First off, it might help not to have the "additional" vocals (or doubles) panned hard left and right during the verses. Because they aren't super-tight (timing-wise), it just ends up sounding like a delay/echo. If anything, it probably distracts you from the lead vocal. You could keep them, and just try panning them more in the center, and turning them down. Then, they would support the lead a bit more instead of being a distraction. Of course, it could wreck the intelligibility of the lead vocal...you'll have to try. Moral of the story is that, in an arrangement, elements are much more noticeable when the are panned to their own spot in the stereo field. Sometimes that's good, sometimes that's bad.

Put a high-pass filter on your vocal tracks. Take out everything about 100-150 hertz and below (depends on the vocal and the recording).

"Open the track up" on the chorus. That's where you want you vocals panned out left and right (you could keep the center panned vocal as well). Change things up a bit. So, when you get to the chorus, we (as the listeners) know that a change has happened--the track gets "bigger". The "echo" effect you get from the timing/placement of the vocals is more likely to work on the chorus than the verses.

Just a few suggestions since you're running out of time!

Dan
Dan
The Online Audio School

Back