Scene memory on the 2488

sae

I am looking at the 2488, but for the life of me, I can't seem to find anywhere how you go about changing the volume or eq at different parts in a song.

Surely the 2488 must have scene memory to memorize fader and eq settings, so that you can bring the guitar up during the solo and the push it back down again.

Could someone please tell me how you do this on the 2488, as I can't seem to find anything online.

thx

I could be wrong here but I don't think the 2488 allows you to do this. I wish it had that capability too but for 1199.00, [an be bought on ebay for 1025.00 aleady I don't think you can get 24 tracks with that much flexability. You can save scenes which really are settings like eq, reverb, compression etc./ but I don't think you can adjust them during the song nd have the machine remember them. If you find out I'm wrong I'd sure like to know how to access the feature. The only way I've gotten around some of it is to leave a few open tracks and bounce [ lets say a guitar track to another track when I'm mixing and make volume adjustments while it's recording to the bounce track. A pain but has gotten me closer on some tracks that had volume levels that were way off.

If you can do scene memorizing then I could "program" it while the song is not playing. As long as I can change the volume levels and eq in certain parts of the song (even if it isn't while playing) that would be OK

I wouldn't be able to buy the 2488 if I couldn't do this. Then I would have to get a aw2816

In the 'pre mastering' phase fader, pan, eq, and effects settings and changes are memorized as you make them on the fly. You can also add syncronized midi sound sources to the stereo master mix.

YO SAE: [smooth oil weight?]

I know the 2488 and the Yam 2816 have similarities. I use the 2816.

After I get the tracks done, I make the stereo track in order to burn the CD. At this point, I do believe you can flip up the fader for a punchy/loud solo of whatever. If it doesn't come out right the first time, erase the stereo track, [that's why I do] and try it again.

I can also tweak eq if necessary while doing the stereo track. As well, position the tracks in the stereo field and/or shut off reverb on any track that doesn't require it.

There is a lot to learn with the SIAB and I'm still learning but it's fun.

As I said, I know these SIABs are similar but I don't think the Tascam 2488 does everything the Yam 2816 can do.

Green Hornet:D :p :cool:

so in the 2488, you have to manually move the faders and change the eq while the song is playing to a master track?

Yo SAE:

I don't think you can "change" the eq while the song is going to the stereo track.

You can dub in the solo and set the eq you want BEFORE you do the stereo track. That is the advantage of having many tracks -- you can overdub.

But, not being familiar with the Tascam unit, I can't say for sure. i know if I try to do something while the recorder is "on" I get a flashing sign that says the SIAB is "busy."

Green Hornet:cool: :D

sae said:
so in the 2488, you have to manually move the faders and change the eq while the song is playing to a master track?

It'll memorize your moves as you record your pre master, just keep going over till you get to all your tracks.

So for example I can do the drum tracks save that

Then do the vocals and save that, etc, etc?

Hope I can help here, philboyd is correct in that if you are premastering you can move the any of the faders on the fly and they will be stored on the 2 track master. However I believe the flexability you're looking for will have to come from motorized faders or a computer based system like Pro Tools. The work around I suggested which is to save a few open tracks and bounce to them with the changes would allow you to do indiviual tracks at a time. However if you consistantly need to make a ton of changes on each track you most likely need more than the 2488. Don't get me wrong I own a 2488 and love it but for the price it has it's limitations as do all SIAB's. I also am a little biased as I am more of a musician than a technician. I try to get my tracks as close to the way I want them to sound in the mix when I record them so most of my mixing is tweaking rather than
major fixing of volume, fx or equing problems.

Good luck

Back