Scale length for uke

zorf

So i'm trying to make a fingerboard for a uke and was wondering if i could
just use one of the extra guitar fingerboards i have sitting around if i just
start the first fret farther up.

I can slide them up and down side by side with my other uke until i find a spot where
they almost line up.

My extra guitar fingerboards are already slotted but dont have a radius which is ok because i usually like uke fingerboards pretty flat.

I could use something like this: http://www.buildyourguitar.com/resources/fretcalc/jscrptclc.htm

but i'm feeling lazy.

If you have a uke that you are putting a new f/b on you are stuck with what you have and will need to use the scale length you have from nut to saddle. Half that being the 12th fret.

There is no set scale length for the uke. Anything from 12" to 20". The scale length dictates what tuning you use from soprano through baritone all are tuned the same with different gauge strings. As such you can pick the scale length to suit you needs and tune accordingly.

Typically Ukes do not have a radiused fingerboard.

Making a new uke, and i was trying to match one of my existing ukes because i like the fingerboard so much.

It's a 15 inch scale which is more like a small concert scale, but it's on a soprano size body.

So i can place the bridge wherever i want.

Ukes usually use the same gauge strings for soprano and concert scale.
and they are tuned the same.

So just wanted to know if i can use one of my pile of guitar fingerboards that are already slotted if i just start my first fret up higher.
Like i said they almost line up perfectly.

With short scale instruments, the fret placement is more critical for
intonation.

You really aren't going to be able to do what you want for a few reasons.

First, with a scale length of 15" the fret placings on any of the typical guitar f/b's don't match up.

Second, if you adjust to suit the guitar f/b by slightly shortening or lengthening the scale length your going to have to put the nut at around the 8th fret. Therefore leaving you only about 12 frets. The f/b is going to be a couple of inches short.

Third you may need to check the fret wire will still fit comfortably in the slots that are cut in the existing f/b.

Fourth, and this is just my opinion, it's a waste of a good f/b.

Honestly you'd be better off starting from scratch and cutting a f/b to suit the instrument especially if your copying an existing instrument. On a uke it's about an hours job at most.

ok, fair enough.

I guess i was just feeling lazy yesterday.

And I'm trying to be resourceful and use up all the leftover bits and pieces around here.

Back