SCA DIY Preamps

aaronmcoleman

The truth is out there!
Seventh Circle Audio DIY preamps. 2 of each eventually sounds pretty cool (API, Neve, twin servo, and T15).

I have been researching these for a while now, and they sound pretty sweet. I was just wondering 1) if anyone had anything to say about the sound of these things and 2) how hard are they to build?

I am pretty handy, but don't have a ton of soldering experience yet. But I like working on stuff like this, and I have a friend who builds amps and guitars and mods stuff who could lend a hand in improving my skills.

Thanks!

Ok, no responses here...that's fine, this is not a piece of equipment everyone has used. After searching and searching and googling other forums, I decided on a T15 and A12 preamp kit.

For future searchers...it seems like most people, even with little experience, were able to follow the instructions without much trouble. They just said it took 10 hours instead of 2.5 that the site says. Also, for future searchers, the A12 is a pretty convincing API 512 clone, the N72 is a convincing Neve clone, the T15 is on par with the RNP, and I didn't look too much at the C84 or J99. Most consider all of these to be "high end" preamps and differ in preference not in quality.

I'll report back when I have my own built...hopefully next week during my spring break!

Eh that would be nice! Probably not, but I can probably do some pictures and a detailed report if anyone would be interested.

I have a SCA rack with two T15s in it. The first one took about 5-6 hours to put together, while the second one was 3-4. I am planning on getting 2 N72s and 2 A12s this summer. The SCA stuff is incredible and get nothing but great reviews from everybody I have ever talked to that has them. I feel like the quality gained from awesome preamps is pretty minimal, I can only tell the difference when comparing to really really cheap preamps. Since a recording chain is only as good as it's weakest link, the SCA kits are one of the most cost effective ways to get truly pro quality gear at a decent price, especially if you are handy with a soldering iron! :)

Yeah I've used an rnp for years and can tell a big difference between it and stock pres. So hopefully the step up to pro quality will be another huge improvement. Plus it'll be nice to have the flavors.

I recently got a gap pre73 and it's very nice too for a great price. I'm interested to compare the n72 to the pre73 this summer when I have both.

A nice thing about the SCA pres is that you can push them really hard without clipping your converters. When I push the T15 alot it gives a very very light coloration to the sound, but is still pleasurable, especially for guitars and vocals. I am excited to try out the N72 and A12 because they are meant to have a little bit more mojo to them. I think that pushing the transformers and discrete opamps will impart quite a bit more coloration to the signal! :) How does your Pre73 sound when you drive it really hard?

I really like the Pre73 on acoustic guitars and vocals when pushed. But, when pushed too hard (i.e. 70+db on input and a little of the output) it gets very undefined and a little muddy...still has a really nice tone, but I don't push it that far unless it is just vocals and guitar. In a dense mix pushed super hard I've found things sit back too much. Around 40-60 on the input, and enough output it has the "warm" sound these sorts of pres are supposed to have. So, for the price, I love it...but after having it a little while, I've realized you can't push it all the way without getting a bit muddy...still a very nice pre. I have never used a "really nice neve clone", so I'm not sure if this is what they are supposed to do or not.

Oh and the cleanish gain is really nice and quiet, and has a warmth to it without getting wooley (ie. mic/line input around 30-40, and output maxed).

Perhaps the SCA N72 would be able to be pushed without getting muddy? The SCA stuff has been known to live up to the originals very well. Have you done any mods to your Pre73? I have heard that they are pretty good stock, but can get closer to the real thing with some mods.

I haven't done any mods yet. At first I loved the thing and didn't even consider it, but now (i still love it) but I'm thinking the transformer upgrades may be worth it. Stock does sound good though, who knows I'll see what my time is like when school gets out for summer!

Once I get the A12 and T15 done, I'd like to get an N72 and compare it to the GAP. I would suspect the N72 will have a more open high end, and less muddled low when pushed. That is just a guess based on reviews and other people's experience.

I just got the preamps in today, and the instructions look very straight forward, so taking pictures and documenting it would be a waste, seems they've already done that for us!

Started building a t15 and it's pretty simple so far. I have no soldering skills so I though it'd take forever. So far no issues.

I did notice the chasis and power supply come mostly assembled except there is no grounding wire connected. I'll have to mess with that this weekend.

Finally...my DMM broke so I couldn't test the T15 for a few days. But it works amazingly...first time! I highly recommend these, and you don't have to have much experience. I had a friend show me how to solder one night and went to work the next day. It's not too pretty, but works fine, and I can repair it if anything ever goes wrong.

Don't be scared if you don't have experience. Oh and use leaded solder, that lead free stuff is hard to use.

Finished both pres today (a12-API clone, and T15-transparent RNPish). Both are amazing. I can't get over how good these are. They don't cost much more than the cheapy stuff and sound like pieces costing minimum 3-4x as much. And they were fairly easy and fun to build. I can't wait until I can free up a few bucks to get another of each.

My second one is much prettier than my first. The solder joints are nice now and it took way less time. If you're on the fence about these...get one! If you''re on the fence about your skills, don't worry, they arent' too hard.

Back