SBLive Soundfont MIDI Playback question

Scheisskopf99

For MIDI playback the SBLive gives me choices of Creative S/W Synth, a: SBLive! MIDI Synth, or b: SBLive! MIDI Synth, or MIDI out. I want to be able to playback the soundfont banks I have loaded.

OK, maybe the a: and b: are left and right stereo channels?

Which one should I select?

I think either synth A or B works. No, the A and B don't indicate L and R of stereo; they are two separate devices. I'm not sure what's going on but you might be able to get 64 voices out of the wavetable ROM using synth A and another 64 from Sound Fonts using synth B... but don't quote me, I haven't verified that.

Anyway, I only use a few MIDI parts -- uusally no more than ten or so -- so I have just SB Live! MIDI synth A selected as an active device and it plays Sound Fonts just fine.

This stuff I bought - You mean now I have to learn to use it too?

Thanks for the lightning fast response - 8 minutes! Must be some kind of record.

I just purchased the 24MB GM Bank from Hruska - Sonic Implants. Pretty darn good! Still not as goos as actual instrument samples, but way, way better than the 8MB bank that came with the card.

Anyway, the real reason I purchased it was it was also bundled with a 12MB Studio Drum Kit and another 12MB brush drum kit. It's like having your own state of the art Pearl drum kit, plus you get a recording engineer thrown in to mic everything up for you and get all the mixer settings set just right for you. I love the stereo placement of the drumkits. The hihat's on the right, baby, floor tom on the left, kick down the middle, and EQ and compression is right on. All you have to do is record the drum tracks in stereo to a wav file and they come out sounding like a pro mixdown. That's a real timesaver.

Back