sblive platinum

tazkatraz

im a hiphop producer and i want to record into my computer where can i get the sblive platinum card? i heard its the best for the price range im interested which is around 200

The SBLive Platinum is not a bad card, but only gives you 2 channels of input on the audio side. You will need an additional mixer if you are going to need more channels than that. I have it and it was okay when I first got it. But the more I record and the more equipment I use it becomes more and more limiting at times. Having the live drive is kinda convenient with the midi ports in the front. I would suggest to do a search on this bbs on soundcards and see what other people have to say about soundcards, save up little more money and get a more robust soundcard.
If you use the S/PDIF then go ahead and get the platinum, if not save a couple of bucks and get just the SBLive if you can't hold out until you get a better card...
Good Luck!

Vice

Hi Tazkatrax.

I wouldn't recommend a SBlive Platinum. In short I purchased one about ten months ago and had nothing but problems. It gave me alot of hum and loud buzzing. STAY WELL CLEAR OF ANYTHING MADE BY CREATIVE. The customer support is non existent.

I bought an M Audio Delta 66 and have been very pleased with it. Unfortunately this may be a bit pricey. It was worth every penny though. Have a look at the Delta 44. This might be cheaper.

Creative products are mainly made for video games and the odd tinker around. Recording Cards like Delta and Darla are specially designed for audio recording. These cards are shielded from electronic interferences like earth leakage and transmission interference from radio, television and other sources.

Good luck.

Mark
:)

thanks for the info i wasnt sure how many inputs the sblive platinum had i thought it was atleast 4..... whats the maximum inputs i can get on a soundcard, cuz i can only spend 200-300, im not really paid like that and i have other important expenses, anyways im just curious as too the maximum number of inputs i can get within that price range...... sound quality is not really AS important to me since hiphop is not saupposed to sound too clean and im somewhat confident i can find a way to make some thumpin stuff so long as i can mix down tracks individually, i think 4 tracks would be enough because software is a lot more flexible with mixing capabilities, it would just take a bit longer. So i know i should probably save up but im just so desperate to get one right now, my beats are really good but the quality is so bad i just need something reasonable until i can afford better.

um i went to check out the sblive platinum and it has 4 inputs so im definetely gonna get this card i've heard lots of positive stuff about this thing especially for the price so im off to get it now, peace.

You sure it has four inputs? Maybe if you use the S/PDIF for two... but even then I think you can only use two at a time... better double-check...

this guy knows what he is saying, I just spent 200 on the new sblive audigy 24/96 platinum card and all I have is buzzing and hissing!!!!!!
radiogold said:
Hi Tazkatrax.

I wouldn't recommend a SBlive Platinum. In short I purchased one about ten months ago and had nothing but problems. It gave me alot of hum and loud buzzing. STAY WELL CLEAR OF ANYTHING MADE BY CREATIVE. The customer support is non existent.

I bought an M Audio Delta 66 and have been very pleased with it. Unfortunately this may be a bit pricey. It was worth every penny though. Have a look at the Delta 44. This might be cheaper.

Creative products are mainly made for video games and the odd tinker around. Recording Cards like Delta and Darla are specially designed for audio recording. These cards are shielded from electronic interferences like earth leakage and transmission interference from radio, television and other sources.

Good luck.

Mark
:)

what instruments will u be recording (samplers,mics, guitar,bass?) and how many will you be recording at one time......

SB Audigy...

I don't get it. Tom's Hardware recently published a simply glowing review of the Audigy, in which they measured things like background noise. The Audigy did quite well.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/01q3/010927/index.html

I dunno. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the SB Live Value to a beginning home recorder. Why not spend the money you save on a nice microphone preamp or something?

I use an AWE64Gold (purchased back in 1997), and I do just fine with it.

All SBLive cards have the same circuitry.... If you buy the Platinum all you're getting is the front input box, the quality is the same for all of them.... I just went from my $75 SBLive to a $199 Echo Mia and it was like going from a noisy hallway to a quiet studio booth. The "room" just got bigger and quieter and I'm hearing things I never could before.

The downside is that now I'm going to have to go back and re-record some songs. The SBLive is OK to start out with and learn but if you're going to spend $200 get a decent audio card with real 24/96 capabilities.

My SB platinum card was a worthless buy too. Noisy & not a good card for recording. The delta cards are in your price range. The 44 is around 250.00 & the 66 is 320.00 at musiciansfriend.com. I am soo much happier with the delta card.

If you insist on the SB, do yourself a favor & buy the SB live MP3+.

It is the same card as the platinum, but without the goofy interface you install in one of your computer bays. This interface is truly worthless. The MP3+ card is much less $$.

Creative has just put out another line of cards & has one that is marketed toward musicians. it is called the Audigy Platinum . If you want a creative card, you may want to check it out.

Buying the SB Platinum from reviews was my mistake. It received a 9/10 Score in the UK's Computer Music magazine. and has a four star rating in Australias PC User. I could be wrong, but I somehow feel that alot of these magazine reviews could be beefed up sales talk.

What about try before you buy?? I walked in to a number of music shops and insisted on a demonstration. (yeah, right) I hear you say? I think if you live in a considerablely large town or city, They should be at least one or two musician stores that would have a computer set up with a soundcard. If you have no luck, try visiting some recording studios to see the equipment in action. I've read many reviews on sound cards but I've never really seen much on the Delta. I simply bought it, because I liked what I heard when it was demonstrated to me.

I also had a Darla demonstrated to me but knocked it back because at the time of purchasing, it didn't have a breakout box.

Have a look at the issue of a breakout box. If you move your equipment around to record at different locations, you may where out the conncetors on the card from connecting and disconnecting over a number of years. When the connectors on the breakout box become loose you only have to replace the break-box rather then the entire card.

As mentioned a few times too, I disliked that wackey front panel interface with the SBLIVE. I'll never use three quarters of the stuff on there and.... the sblive has a inbuilt microphone connection which impacts on the sound quality.

In the following review for the SBLive, the writer does say it is "too noisy for audio recording" while it's OK for playing sound fonts.

How is your experience with the SB stuff for anything regarding to playing sound fonts ? Is it quite when playing samples ?
Have you experienced better sample play-back when using the other non-SB models ?

I need a sound card that will play sound fonts in the highest avaliable quality (I'm using analog for recording). Will the SBLive be good enough ?

Article link

Back