SB Live! Recording

Sangram

Hi

I use SB Live! Value on a KT 266A motherboard, Seagate Barracuda III 20 GB disk.

I dual boot between 98SE (actually, 98Lite) and Win 2K professional with SP2.

98 is used for gaming, and 2K was (supposedly) my audio platform.

I'm taking input from a tape deck (cassette), and my guitar amp at times. I'm currently working on putting up my entire cassette collection on to CDs.

The problem is, in Win 2K, the recording is absolutley atrocious, sounding clipped and distorted. the SAME recording, done in 98, is smooth as silk. Of course, the files are huge (one side of the tape being the typical 25-35 minutes, and I record the entire tape at one go) and 98 does have problems coping with very large files.

Both OSs have the latest 4-in-1s, are completely defragged, and are running stock drivers (the ones with the OS). I've tried installing and reinstalling the Live!Ware package. The problem remains exactly in place. I've also tried fiddling around with hardware accelaration settings. No use.

Win 2K is absolutely rock-solid, and I'm committed to use it as my 'audio' OS but I'm not sure about at least tracking on it now. The only difference I can think of is the fact that 98SE has the Via Latency patch installed, and 2000 does not. There is a clue there, but I'm clueless on what to do about it. Any other ideas would be great.

Thanks

Sang

I have been and will be recording with my sblive (NOT value) for some time and i had a similar, though not identical problem when I switched to win 2k from 98 SE. 98 had produced completely beautiful recordings and when I began to record in 2k there were all these pops and hisses in the audio tracks. I ended having to remove the OS provided driver and downloaded win2k drivers. It worked for me. I would that you go into your device manager (right click on "My Computer" > properties > hardware tab > device manager) and find your sblive drivers. remove them and then try installing your new ones. The sblive value is very similar to the sblive and this process SHOULD work. You may have to try a couple of times (It took me three reinstalls of the driver to get it to work right). Now my recordings are just as good as on 98.

Back