SB Live / Layla / Cakewalk Midi question

mrsm57

Hi all,

Here is my situation, Cakewalk 9, layla, sblive, old mixer - layla has no onboard midi synth, SBlive does - all I want to do is to use some midi tracks I already have recorded, as well as use Cakewalks session Drummer and click tracks (which are both midi based).

I have searched and some have said they use sblive as thier midi synth and somehow use this in conjunction with Layla, thus letting them use Wav files and Midi files while using Layla.

How do I do this? Any help would be appreciated, if I can't do this, please tell me what I need to purchase.

Respectfully,

MR SM57

Interesting.

The way I see it, you have two sound cards and a mixer. One sound card has a synth on it. Okay.

When you look in Options > Audio... and select the
Drivers Tab do you see input and output drivers for both the
SBLive and the Layla? If so, good.

Check to see that you have Midi drivers for the SBLive by going
to Options -> Midi Devices

You should see SBlive input and output midi devices. If so, good.

In the track view, have your midi track outs point to the SBlive midi port. Also select the correct patch and midi channel. You might need to define instrument definitions for the patches available for your synth. An instrument definition file should be available either at Creativelab or elsewhere online. You don't need them I don't think, but you will have a harder time finding the sounds you want for each channel.

But I digress...

Having done all that...you should be able to play the midi and hear it over your speakers coming out of the SBLive card. You will then want to feed that back into one of your Layla inputs and record it like normal audio. If you have Sonar it would be easier and you would never have to leave the digital domain...but alas, you don't.

Hope that helps.

Nemal

Actually, I do have SOnar, I was just waiting for a good reason to install it - maybe this is it? But, I think I read somewhere that my plug ins wont work unless they are specifiaclly built for Sonar - is this the case?

You shouldn't have a problem with the plug ins. I haven't
But be prepared for some down time while you learn how to use Sonar and work the kinks out. It took me about a week because I wanted low latency and installed the WDM driver that are much faster than the previous kind.

Also, now that I think about it. You should have to route a cable from your SBLive to your Layla. You should just be able to record an Audio track by choosing the SBLive audio input for your IN in your track view.

Good luck again.

Back