SB Live?? Hard Disk Recording?

Strummer

Hi,

I am a guitar player and total newbie to the home recording world... Could someone help me with this: what do you think of the SB Live in terms of recording quality, inputs, etc. Can I plug my guitar straight into the board and then edit the wave in Sound Forge? Or can I connect it with the Line Out of my Boss FX pedal/Marshall setup?

The problem is, here in Brazil these professional sound cards are VERY expensive and just want a Lo-Fi thing, maybe add some guitar parts to songs I make in Sonic Foundry ACID. So the SB Live is all I can buy at the moment.

Also, another question. What do you think of USB solutions like Roland U-8 and Tascam US-428? Would they work with the SB Live?

Regards,

Strummer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I am a guitar player and total newbie to the home recording world... Could someone help me with this: what do you think of the SB Live in terms of recording quality, inputs, etc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's pretty OK for the price.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Can I plug my guitar straight into the board and then edit the wave in Sound Forge? Or can I connect it with the Line Out of my Boss FX pedal/Marshall setup?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not the guitar straight in -- you need a line level signal. The Line Out will work, but might not sound very good. DO you have any mics and a mixer or mic preamp?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Also, another question. What do you think of USB solutions like Roland U-8 and Tascam US-428? Would they work with the SB Live?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's likely you can... I don't know for sure...

-AlChuck

So the SB Live comes with the right inputs on board or should I get this Live Drive 2?
I don´t know this S/PDIF thing, is it the "optical" connection? The guitar jack is called the 1/4" right?

I do not own a mixer or a pre-amp, but I don´t intend to record vocal parts. Are they necessary for recording the guitar? Maybe I should mic my amp? And the mixer.. is it needed if I only want to record one track at a time? I ´m afraid it would sound crappy if I plugged straight from the boss or the amp on the board... what would be a cheap but correct setup?

Thanx for the quick reply!

Lots of doubts,

strummer

Hi Stummer,

Just read the SB Live Platinum Live Drive section part of the manual and it does refer to the 1/4" Line in the "Allows you to connect to a high-quality dynamic microphone or audion device such as an electric guitar, Dat, or MiniDisc player.

In other words, yes you can plug a guitar into the Live Drive, then record it as a .wav file into SoundForge.

Porter

[This message has been edited by Porter (edited 07-25-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>So the SB Live comes with the right inputs on board or should I get this Live Drive 2?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The SB Live has a mic input for connecting the cheesy mic that comes packaged with the card -- this is virtually worthless for anything else. It also has a stereo minijack Line In, and another for the Line Out. You will likely need some sort of adapter to connect anything to this. There are cables that have two 1/4" or RCA plugs on one end and a single 1/8" mini plug on the other end. Then there's also the S/PDIF in...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I don´t know this S/PDIF thing, is it the "optical" connection? The guitar jack is called the 1/4" right?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

S/PDIF stands for Sony/Philips Digital Interface. It's not optical; looks like an RCA jack. It takes a stereo digital signal from things like a DAT recorder, a stand-alone analog-to-digital converter, some preamps and effects boxes, and such. You can bypass the SB Live's analog-to-digital conversion with this, which will improve your results if you have the equipment.

And yes, the standard guitar plug is a 1/4" mono plug. (There are also stereo versions that use a slightly different jack and cable, which are sometimes used for stereo effects sends out of a single jack, or for sending a balanced signal like you get with a balanced XLR microphone cable.)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I do not own a mixer or a pre-amp, but I don´t intend to record vocal parts. Are they necessary for recording the guitar? Maybe I should mic my amp? And the mixer.. is it needed if I only want to record one track at a time? I ´m afraid it would sound crappy if I plugged straight from the boss or the amp on the board... what would be a cheap but correct setup??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't really need a mixer per se, but you do need some way of getting the guitar into a line level signal that you like the sound of. Something needs to bring the guitar signal up to this level. Typically you have a line out from effects boxes or from most modern amplifiers. As you surmise, you will probably agree with 99% of the population that a direct guitar signal sounds pretty crappy. Some direct outs will give you a pretty decent sound to start from. (I used to use an Alesis Quadraverb GT and it wasn't too shabby.)There are also the new breed of amp-modeling recording devices -- the Line 6 POD, the Johnson J-Station, and the new Zoom device I just say advertised in the new Guitar Player. I use a POD and I love it. There are those who swear that the only real way to get a great guitar sound is to mic a great-sounding amp. If you do want to do this, you'll need a decent mic, and a preamp to bring the mic signal up to line level. There's also quite an art to getting the mic placed just right to capture a good sound.

Actually, I think that the real key is a great-sounding guitar being played by a player who can get a great sound! If you have that, than any method will give gppd results, and the recording will be compelling and capture the magic. Jeff Beck recorded the Frankie's House soundtrack with one of those ART or Digitech guitar preamp/multieffector boxes and it sounds terrific to me. A lot of people are admitting to tracking their new recordings the POD these days, and the examples I've heard all sound perfectly good.

Good luck!

-AlChuck

[This message has been edited by AlChuck (edited 07-25-2000).]

THx for your help AlChuck.
As it turns out, I´m with the SB Live and am trying to record my guitar.
I tried plugging my Epi Les Paul to my Marshall (a crappy G15RCD) and then to the SB Line In from the amp Line Out. But I think the signal is too weak to record (in Sound Forge, it hits about -40db) and I can´t hear a thing. If I record and normalize, it gets a little distorted.
I tried also plugging my Zoom 505 to the SB Live, setting the gain to its highest, but still too low a signal.

I´ve been looking for some mixers and found a cheap Staner 4-Track... it it ok, the preamp and stuff?

Did you adjust the line in level through the Windows Mixer? Or just in the recording software? You should be able to get a good signal out of either of those sources. Normalizing a low-level track in Sound Forge or any audio software will sound like shit; if the recording level is too low, you're essentially recording everything way down close to the hardware's noise floor, and when you normalize it you'll be raising the level of the noise up with the signal.

I know absolutely nothing about the 4-track mixer you mentioned.

-AlChuck

[This message has been edited by AlChuck (edited 07-27-2000).]

Hi Al,

I´me getting the hang of Cakewalk/Sound Forge and the signal is better now. I still have to normalize it though, but I think this is a usual procedure?

And I´m thinking of getting a preamp, are those Digitech pres any good?

Also, i read in a brazilian Guitar Player, on a text about the new NAMM products, about a "analog/digital conversor", the ART DI/O, it seems like this units converts the guitar sound to a 24-bit digital sign? But I can´t find info on this anywhere. My SB Live just records at 16-bit, I think (or am I doing something wrong?).

Regards,

Strummer

Back