Saving Sunday (First song!)

hemeltz

Hello,
I recently recorded my first song called Saving Sunday, and since then my equipment has been upgraded so there's way less noise, but the questions stay the same. I realize the recording and the mix are both terrible, but I was wondering if any of you might be able to point out where and how I went wrong either recording or mixing and mastering. Hope you like the song though, it's the first GOOD song I ever finished! I'm never going to be able to live up to it again though...

The URL is:

Thanks!
Harry

Maybe you could give us a rundown on the equipment you used, mic techniques and stuff. Sounds like you caught the essence of the song well and that's what matters. A bad recording (not that this is by any means) of a good song will stick in the head way longer than a polished turd will.

Of course!
At the time this was recorded, I was going straight from an (oooooold) mixer through a million adapters into a crappy sound card. I believe both vocals and acoustic were recorded with an sm57.
Now, I used an audiogram3 to USB with some dynamic mics (I don't yet own a condenser, but I get a very very suprisingly good sound from the $20 Behringer XM8500s, better than the sm57 a lot of the time). I usually mix on Acid Music Studio.

Back