Saving emails

blinddogblues

This really doesn't seem to have anything to do directly with computer recording, but actually it does, because if I don't get some help here, I am not going to be recording music any time soon! I got a virus on my computer and I have tried everything to get rid of it to no avail, so I have decided to back everything up and reformat and start over. I had been thinking about upgrading from 98 to XP anyway, so starting over is no bid deal. Problem is, I am having a problem backing up the emails. I export all emails to a .pst file, just like the outlook help tells me to. I burn a disk with the pst file, everything looks good. I try importing the emails to another computer, or even the same computer they came from, and I get the message, "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use." I have no idea what this means. Can anyone help?? I apologize for asking this on this forum, but I am trying to record my music here and I can't do anything until this virus is gone. I have everything else backed up, good to go, except the emails. Thanks to anyone willing to lend a hand.

Thats one of the downsides to outlook express....no server to save your email.
I have in the past copy and pasted all my important emails to word then copied to a disk as a word document. This works great if you dont have 150 emails saved.;)

blinddogblues said:
This really doesn't seem to have anything to do directly with computer recording, but actually it does, because if I don't get some help here, I am not going to be recording music any time soon! I got a virus on my computer and I have tried everything to get rid of it to no avail, so I have decided to back everything up and reformat and start over. I had been thinking about upgrading from 98 to XP anyway, so starting over is no bid deal. Problem is, I am having a problem backing up the emails. I export all emails to a .pst file, just like the outlook help tells me to. I burn a disk with the pst file, everything looks good. I try importing the emails to another computer, or even the same computer they came from, and I get the message, "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use." I have no idea what this means. Can anyone help?? I apologize for asking this on this forum, but I am trying to record my music here and I can't do anything until this virus is gone. I have everything else backed up, good to go, except the emails. Thanks to anyone willing to lend a hand.

All I do is find the outlook.pst file and burn it to a CD. When I re-install, I place the file back in the directory where it came from and everything works fine.

Stealthtech said:
Thats one of the downsides to outlook express....no server to save your email.
I have in the past copy and pasted all my important emails to word then copied to a disk as a word document. This works great if you dont have 150 emails saved.;)

Actually, I have at least 300, so that is not really practical. I would rather go the .pst route if I could just get past this one issue.

Re: Re: Saving emails

brzilian said:
All I do is find the outlook.pst file and burn it to a CD. When I re-install, I place the file back in the directory where it came from and everything works fine.

That is exactly what I am trying to do when I get the message I described. I tried importing it back into outlook on another computer and on the original one I took the emails from as an experiment to make sure it worked before I erased everything. Any other ideas??? Thanks...

I didn't notice you were using 'outlook' , works well for outlook express, no idea if it works for outlook.

Back