saving data from VS-880

DaveX

I own a VS-880, and I am curious if I can send my data to be saved (or archived, they call it) to a spot on my computer's hard drive instead of making a CD copy of it... I realize that my hard drive will fill up quick this way, but I just want to save one thing at a time, really...

DaveX

The simple answer...

Hi, Dave...I don't own an 880, but the simple response to your question would be that you go from a line-out on your 880, to the line-in on your soundcard. Depending on your soundcard, you might/should have some sort of line-in source...on my own soundcard, for example, I have a 1/8" stereo line-in. I'd go from the recording unit (880 in your case) to my soundcard's line-in, and record to my hard drive. If hard drive space is, or becomes, an issue...hard drives aren't all that expensive, and you could add a dedicated hard drive to your computer and have lots of space just for your music.

Some thoughts for you to consider anyway. Have a great day.

Julia

not quite the same thing...

I am aware that I could send all the data in that way. The 880 allows users to save data on a CDR disc as data, meaning archived for later use, like stuff on a floppy... I was thinking to save as data onto a hard drive, but I don't even know if this is possible. An 880 has 8 tracks, with what? 8 virtual tracks for each of those, not to mention marker points that you set, etc... saving into a computer via the line in/out wouldn't be able to keep all that info, just whatever sound you sent.

DaveX

Ok, gotcha...

Sorry...I misunderstood. I see what you mean now. And all I can say is...it's a good question! :)

Good luck.

Roland uses its own protocol and file formats which aren't compatible even amongst Roland's own machines - e.g. songs recorded on a VS-880 have to be converted to be usable on a VS-1680! (Thank you Roland Marketing!) You have to be careful putting a Zip disk which has been formatted on a Roland VS on to a Windoze machine - the Windoze s/w will not recognize the format and refuse to talk to it (it might even set a bit which makes the disk subsequently useless - BUT there is a work around - I've the info. somewhere, but it's buried - I think I originally found it on the Roland Users BBS (checkout the Roland site for the URL) - I also found other useful stuff there. Let me know if you don't have any luck and I'll see if I can dig it out.

- Wil

Back