Sarah's Song...first try

jeredsteeves

Alright, I was really hesitant to put this up here, but I figure I plan on getting more seriously into recording, so I'll need all the help I can get (even if my ego takes a beating in the process).

I recorded this song 2 years ago. Since then, my computer has completely died, so I have no way of editing this mix. But as I get your (hopefully) constructive criticism, I will learn what to do or what not to do when I finally get all set up again in the next month or so.

So you have an idea of what I was working with; Delta 1010, Allen and Heath MixWizard, and a Shure Beta87A for everything. Piano was obviously DI'd.

Other than that, I'll nervously await your opinions.

http://www.myspace.com/louierussoandthesawmills

Listen to Sarah's Song. Don't listen to the other one. It's complete and utter crap!

The biggest standout to me in the mix is the lead vocal. A lot of "puffs" on the P's, B's, F's etc (anywhere you exhale on the mic). Fixable with a pop screen, or you could angle yourself from the mic or back off a bit. Go for the pop screen if you can...

As I hear it a pretty good mix so far... Nice use of panning and effects. Love the production of the "nanana's" and the wail in the background. And sweet vocals, bro.

There... that wasn't so bad, was it? Now let's see what the experts have to say...

I like it, nice mix, i really dig the vocals, the piano line is very good, not very elaborated, but it sounds great with this song. I would like to hear some percussion to give more balls to some parts, but this is just my thinking, the song is great as is right now.

Great Job man. Next time try posting it in Soundclick.

Cheers

thanks, guys. Definitely will use a pop filter next time. Since this recording I've invested in a proper vocal mic (Rode NT1A and a pop filter). And I have no mp3s of this song (other than the myspace one) so I can't even post it to Soundclick. Next time for sure, though.

oh yeah, and I would love to add drums, but I don't have the ability to record them (or play them adequately) yet. I really don't think a drum machine would sound good with this style, so I just left it out. Anyone know any good "real" sounding drum machines or anything?

Back