Sanre Drum Hand Made In Brazil Rosewood (?)

drumzealot

SNARE DRUM not Sanre. Sounds French!! Sorry for the typo but I can't edit the title.

Here are a few pics:

http://idrumzealot.googlepages.com/braziliansnaredrum

I'll post a few sound clips tonight.

I was about to list this on Ebay, but I suspect the rarity and uniqueness of this drum will fly under the radar of most Ebayers. So, I’m hoping one of you drum savvy musicians might be interested.
Approximately 5.5 inches deep and 14 inches in diameter. I purchased this drum at a store called Casa Mitlon in Salvador Brazil. This store specializes in fine hand-made percussion instruments from the northeast region of Brazil. The drum was made in the state of Pernambuco in a small percussion shop called Barravendo. The guy who sold it to me was not sure what kind of wood the shell is made of. I took it to a drum maker and to a wood shop in the US and they both concluded that the shell is made from either Rosewood or Brazilwood, which is very similar to Rosewood. It is made from a single piece of steam-bent wood. The hoops are also made from a single pieces of steam-bent wood. Although the experts with whome I consulted were pretty confident in their assessments, I can't say for certain that the wood is indeed Rosewood or Brazilwood. OTOH, wood, schmood. How does ot sound? This drum is extremely bright and punchy. This may be the brightest wood drum I have ever played. But it still packs a woody punch. And it is fairly loud.
As you can tell from the pictures, this is a rope drum and has no metal hardware of any kind. The only thing touching the shell are the heads which maximizes resonance. The top head is a Remo coated Ambassador and the bottom is a clear snare-side Remo Ambassador.

The snare tention is held by two strings (one on either side). You can see this in the pics. The black string holds the snare wires in place. They can be adjusted, but not "on the fly" like a normal snare. The tention on the heads can be adjusted as well. Just like any rope drum, it is not a quick process. Learing to tune a rope drum is much like seducing a woman of high morals...it aint easy but well worth the time. Once you get the tention where you want it, the tuning holds up incredibley well. I've only had to adjust the ropes once and that was 3+ years ago and it has stayed in tune. The ropes are made of tightly wound nylon and are not suseptable to changes in climate. I've played a few out-door gigs in blazing hot mid-western humidity with no problems.

$130 plus shipping
I'll ship anywhere. Shipping must be insured.
Paypal, cashiers check, or cash/pick-up.
I'm located in the Washington DC area.
My ebay ID is goodguydrumzealot

One more thing: After I brought the drum back to the US I learned that the exportation of Brazilwood is not legal. I had no idea at the time but I would have brought it back even if I had known. But my point is this: instruments made of Brazilwood are extremely rare in the US.

One more thing: After I brought the drum back to the US I learned that the exportation of Brazilwood is not legal. I had no idea at the time but I would have brought it back even if I had known. But my point is this: instruments made of Brazilwood are extremely rare in the US.

AFAIK, while it is illegal to export the raw wood, exporting products made from it is okay.

That's a pretty cool looking snare drum.

Back