Samson S-Mix 5 Channel Mini Mixer, phamtom power supply voltage?

El Baroda

Hi. I have just bought the above mini mixer. It has a built-in phantom power supply (voltage not specified) but is unable to make my new condenser microphone work. The mic needs 48volts of phantom power, so I am thinking that maybe the mixer is not supplying 48 volts. I have searched the web but no luck. Before I buy a separate phantom power unit, I'd like to know if anyone here knows the phantom power voltage of the above mixer. Also, is it safe to hook up a 48 volt phantom power unit to the mixer, considering that the latter already has its own, though insufficient, phantom power? Your assistance will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Update. The seller has confirmed that my mixer onlh has 18v phantom power supply. As noted above, the mic needs 48v. For those with experience along this line, will getting a 48v phantom power supply not harm the mic (i.e., due 66 volts combined)? Please help. Thanks.

Maybe you should return the samson mixer and buy something that fits your needs instead of you trying to fit its needs.

If you are recording, why do you feel you need a mixer?? Have you considered an audio interface?

Hi Chili. Isn't a mixer the same as an audio interface? I am recording via my home hi-fi stereo system, not my computer. Ah, it gets complicated I can see.

And no, an interface is a hardware that allows you to record to a computer. This is why I am asking what your setup is.

Nice to see you again, mate. Here's my present set up. I record using a dynamic mic, Sennheiser e835, connected to the Samson S-Mix 5 Channel mini mixer (with phantom power supply), which then goes to my home stereo amplier, and finally to my Gemini SD-based recorder. The mixer allows me to control the volume of the mic and of the karaoke machine (also goes to the mixer). As you can see, there's no computer involvement in my set up. While this set up serves my needs, I would like to use a condenser mic in lieu of the dynamic mic, as I have read that the former gives better results. Unfortunately, I am unable to make the condenser mic sound loud, apparently because the mixer's phantom power suppy (18 volts) is not enough. I hope I have explained my situation clearly. So, back to my question, will an additional external 48 volt phantom power supply not damage my condenser mic and/or the mixer? Thanks, Jimmy.

Wow, that is a setup of means. No disrespect, but it seems you could have much better results recording to a computer.

That aside, no, I would see no harm in adding an external phantom power supply to the mic, but that should not be necessary. Something is wrong here. I cannot say exactly what it is, but I can assure you that there are better ways to skin a cat here. Sorry, that was my way of saying spend money on something worthwhile.

Your point is well taken. However, I really enjoy recording via my home stereo system just like in the days of the casette tapes and later minidisk. It allows me to sing/record standing up, sitting down or moving around, depending on the type of music and/or my mood. BTW, my SD-based recorder allows me to easily upload my recordings to my PC for editing. I guess, best of both worlds. Of course, I still want to try a condenser mic. Thanks, Jimmy.

Well man, I really can't give much further advice here. I am a product of the 'cassette' tape generation. Hell, I spent $800 on an AKAI 4 track recorder in 1989, that produced two of my early band recordings.

These days, recording is much easier, though cost is relevant to the quality you wish to achieve.

I am not understanding however, what you mean by 'recording via my home stereo system'. You can sing/record in any position with other recording means. Still, I am not sure what it is you are doing.

Ah, English is not my first language so I probably am not explaining myself well enough. What I meant was, I record the same way that I did many years ago, but this time with an SD-recorder (digital), rather than a tape casette or minidisc, hooked up to my home amplifier. I record mostly 50's-60's standards, with backing tracks from DVDs, CDs or CD+G. I am not comfortable using a computer for recording. I hope I did not confuse you further. If you don't mind listening, I can send you a link to one of my recent recordings so you'll see what I'm trying to achieve. Cheers.

From what I read of the samson, it turns on phantom power when you push an XLR plug into the jack. The user has no control over it. If you were to buy an external phantom power supply, you might be feeding 18vdc into it. With 48 vdc on one end and 18vdc on the other, you might setting up a circuit where a circuit typically does not and should not exist.

I personally would not attempt to do this. If you do so, you have a risk of blowing electrical components and ruining your mixer. There are other mixers on the market that will work for you at nearly the same price.

Your english is very good. I wish my spanish was as good as your english. :)

Hi Chili. Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it.

BTW, I know very little Spanish as it is no longer spoken where I come from. I'm originally from the Philippines but now based in Sydney.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, mate.

Maybe you should return the samson mixer and buy something that fits your needs instead of you trying to fit its needs.

Hi Chili, as you suggested, I returned the Samson mixer yesterday and got a Behringer mixer with 48v phantom power supply for 2 condenser mics instead. I only had to pay less than $10 for the price difference. Thanks for your tip. Happy New Year.

Good deal. I hope it works out well for you. Now, onto the next thousand hurdles to jump over... :rolleyes: :D

best wishes for your musical new year!!!

Back