Samson C-Valve

Synkrotron

I need to consider buying a pre-amp to go with my new Rode NT1.

I could go through my mixer but it has a rather noisy fan... well, not that loud but it is still audible during the silent portions of my acoustic recordings.

I'm now thinking that if I go through a pre-amp and then into my soundcard directly I can cut out my mixer altogether.

While I am recording acoustic instruments/vocals I don't intend to multi-track so a simple singal I/O type will be just fine.

I've found one such a device that appears to fit the bill exactly.

The Samson C-Valve. This device comes complete with S/PDIF output which suits me just fine because the sound card I am using will only (without expansion boards) accept either ADAT or S/PDIF connections.

One thing I am worried about is that the Samson is switchable between sample rates of either 48000Hz or 96000Hz. I only ever record at 44100Hz (24bit) and I'm wondering if there will be issues with sample rate conversion within my recording software (Sonar 5).

And on top of that, I'd be interested to hear any opinions on this device in terms of sound and build quality.

Thanks

andy

I've got one. you will have to record at 48k (or 96) and it can be tricky to figure out all of the sample rate stuff but it's not that bad. As far as how it sounds... I can't complain. It's certainly not the best thing ever (somewhat low headroom is my biggest complaint) but as long as you have a decent source it's a fairly neural $100 preamp. Converter isn't too shabby either.

Edit: My sample rate problems were due to the fact that I was recording rap vocals to a beat that was at 44.1. If you're recording at 48 the whole way through you won't have a problem.

Thanks Mr T :)

I might give it a miss then because then general consensus around these parts is that you are better off recording at 44.1Khz @ 24 bit and then converting to 16 bit for CD rather than converting a 48Kz recording down to 44.1Khz.

Thanks again for the input ;)

andy

Synkrotron said:
Thanks Mr T :)

I might give it a miss then because then general consensus around these parts is that you are better off recording at 44.1Khz @ 24 bit and then converting to 16 bit for CD rather than converting a 48Kz recording down to 44.1Khz.

Thanks again for the input ;)

andy

I have two and I rarely use them for this exact reason..

peritus said:
I have two and I rarely use them for this exact reason..

interesting... yeah, I think I'll definitely search for something else...

any recommendations of similar products that have 44.1Khz A/D?

andy

Synkrotron said:
interesting... yeah, I think I'll definitely search for something else...

any recommendations of similar products that have 44.1Khz A/D?

andy

What soundcard do you have? If your soundcard has decent A/D converters, I wouldn't worry about external converters. The M-Audio Audiophile 2496 is pretty popular and inexpensive.

As for a preamp, in that pricerange, I think you'd be hard pressed to beat the Studio Projects VTB1 or the M-Audio DMP3. Both are solid pres for less than $100/channel.

scrubs said:
What soundcard do you have? If your soundcard has decent A/D converters, I wouldn't worry about external converters. The M-Audio Audiophile 2496 is pretty popular and inexpensive.

As for a preamp, in that pricerange, I think you'd be hard pressed to beat the Studio Projects VTB1 or the M-Audio DMP3. Both are solid pres for less than $100/channel.

I've just upgraded my system from a poor gaming card to a RME Hammerfall Light. The Hammerfall card doesn't have any on-board A/D converters and I am currently using my digital mixer for that task. The mixer and soundcard are connected via ADAT lightpipe. I won't be changing that system any time soon.

So I still think that an additional mic pre with S/PDIF out is the best option for me right now... I just need to hunt around a bit more.

Back