Samson 65a monitor cutting out!?!?!?! Please help

meowadishi

Hello. Its been a while.

Well my buddy and I are starting to record and I set up my simple studio stuff at his place. Mainly because he has the space and I don't.

Well the last time I actually had my monitors up, I kept noticing that the right speaker would turn on and work but after listening for a while I noticed that it was cutting out. Now I though it was the motu 828 that I had at the time. But now that the 828 is gone...its still doing it.

Im guessing the cross over is dying. It kind get fuzzy sounding and alternates between the tweeter and the woofer.

Has any body had any luck fixing a monitor that is doing something similar to this?

My father and I popped it open hoping to find a capacitor that was dying. What we found was a white power all over the circuit board that was shorting the monitor out. There was one capacitor that seemed to be leaking. So Ill pick one up to be on the safe side.

We cleaned the board with electric motor cleaner and q tips.

Hope this help someone in the future. Beats $125 to "fix" it.

off topic but a guy at works been fixing a bunch of failed flat monitors all of them having a cheap cap go out... he's repaired about 4 or 5 already. What is it with capacitors that go? a bad seal or is it voltage induced?

Your welcome Steen.

Cool cat. Its funny that you mention that. My father has fixed a handful for home and work. The inside scoop from him is that there was an influx of crappy capacitors that hit the market some years ago. Basically company A was trying to hack into company B's main frame to steal their capacitor formula. Company B got tired of it. Let them hack in but steal their known crappy formula. Company A though they struck gold. They didn't. So now. We have stuff that fails after 3-4 years. Awesome.

You don't live in Arizona do you?

not in AZ.

the capacitors story was interesting. it is odd to see things thrown away because of a 50c part. the ability to see the blown capacitors helps a lot. same with a home air conditioner, if it doesnt start up check the starter capacitors to see if the top is bulged/deformed....fixed for $35 instead of $$$$..

seems this capacitor on your speaker was something mentioned before on other threads. Did you find out if it was the crossover or a power supply cap?

I'm curious, seems it would be a cap from the amp section, because you said it was effecting both the tweeter & woofer.

not in AZ.

the capacitors story was interesting. it is odd to see things thrown away because of a 50c part. the ability to see the blown capacitors helps a lot. same with a home air conditioner, if it doesnt start up check the starter capacitors to see if the top is bulged/deformed....fixed for $35 instead of $$$$..

seems this capacitor on your speaker was something mentioned before on other threads. Did you find out if it was the crossover or a power supply cap?

I'm curious, seems it would be a cap from the amp section, because you said it was effecting both the tweeter & woofer.

I'm no techie at all, but this has been useful info to me lately.

I've had two lcd monitors, a sky box, and an alesis monitor die lately, all of which needed one or cheap caps replaced.

All of them were documented flaws on t'internet.

The amount of stuff that hits the bin for blown caps must be unreal!

coolcat- Im no tech wizard either. I enjoy soldering and what not but that cap story is funny and super useful. I think we deducted it was in the power amp section.

steenamaroo- Its nuts. I know he had good luck with the LCD monitors. Heck his refrigerator blew a cap in the water and ice dispenser. But when I called him about this and he said it was a cap, I laughed and said it can't always be a cap. He was right I was wrong. I am building a fuzz face for my friend. I need caps for that too. So Ill throw the cap I need for the monitor speaker too.

So for now. If a piece of equipment just dies from normal non abusive use... pop it open and check your caps!

coolcat- Im no tech wizard either. I enjoy soldering and what not but that cap story is funny and super useful. I think we deducted it was in the power amp section.

steenamaroo- Its nuts. I know he had good luck with the LCD monitors. Heck his refrigerator blew a cap in the water and ice dispenser. But when I called him about this and he said it was a cap, I laughed and said it can't always be a cap. He was right I was wrong. I am building a fuzz face for my friend. I need caps for that too. So Ill throw the cap I need for the monitor speaker too.

So for now. If a piece of equipment just dies from normal non abusive use... pop it open and check your caps!

Oooooh, and a kenwood chef. Forgot about that! lol.

In fairness, it's about 35 years old though.

Back