Samplitude 8.1 playback problem - Need Help !

PapillonIrl

Ok, so I recently moved to Samp 8.1. I have to say I absolutly love it, and in general it seems very stable, with some amazing new features.

However, yesterday in the middle of a drum tracking session, weird things started happening during playback. I was tracking drums for 14 songs (over two days) with a young band, and I was generally looking for two 'keeper' takes for each song.

I am using the Fireface 800 and putting down ten tracks at a time. Everything would seem to be fine until I got my first keeper, added ten empty tracks to the multitrak VIP view, muted them all, and moved my keeper tracks down on to the empty ones so I could use the armed tracks to go for another one.

When I hit playback (even though the first keeper was muted) is was ok for a couple of seconds and then seemed to splutter out. I was occasionally getting a 'Disk Usage' >100% as well.

I messed with some buffer settings, but the only way I could stop this happening (and I was under pressure to keep the session going) was to disable 'TrackSpeed', in the Advanced Buffer Settings.

I have a rough idea of what TrackSpeed does, but I'd like to know what it is in my system that is making it not work properly, and what the consequences of disabling it are.

Some system info:

Pent 4 3.2gHz
2 x 7200RPM HD, 80GB & 200GB (Both less than half full)
1GB RAM
2 x UAD-1 PCI ards
1 x Firewire 400 PCI card

Any advice/info much appreciated,

Cheers,

Nathan

Did you save what you did and resatart you computer? My computer will look up like that every now and then if I leave it on for days at a time. Turning off help to clear all of buffers and what ever else is in there.

Yep...the problem returns.

Update: I think I am starting to discover the consequences of disabling TrackSpeed, playback is way less reliable. It still won't work at all with some sessions with it enabled though.

This is my first paying session with Samp 8, I had been working with it for a week beforehand to get used to it, and this wasn't happening. The only thing that's changed is that I am now recording/playing back 24bit files.

Info I should have included:

Running Windows XP (SP1 I think, will check)
Using ASIO drivers
Recording 24/44,100
Buffer size: 2048
Buffer number: 4

Cheers,

Nathan

Back