Sampling records to my PC

michael005

Im new at this but I would like to know what software or equipment I will need to record or sample music from old Vynel Ablums to my PC.

THe records Im speaking of are not available on any other media except records.

I havew a HP 700MGH, 20GB, 64MB system

Any advice will be greatly appreciated
Thank you

You will need a soundcard, some cables and software.

The soundcard you probably already have as part of your computer system. You need to plug your stereo system (i.e., turntable/receiver) into the "line in" jack on your sound card. Generally you will connect from the "line out" or "aux out" connections on your receiver. I am assuming these connections will be RCA plugs, and therefore you will need a Y cable to connect up to your soundcard (two female RCA's by one 1/8" male stereo plug). You should be able to get the Y cable at Radio Shack.

Once you have physically connected the computer and stereo systems together, you need software. The one I am familiar with is Spin Doctor (which is a component of Adaptec's EZ CD Creator Deluxe package). There are many others out there as well.

Once you have the software, the rest should be pretty easy. The software will create .wav files on your computer, which you can play using Windows Media Player (or Win Amp, etc.), or which you can use to burn CD's (if you have a CD burner).

You'll need some kind of wave editor that can record. Try http://www.goldwave.com

From the Tape Send (record) outs of your receiver (or the outputs of a dedicated phono preamp), run a line to your soundcard's line in jack. You'll use an RCA to 1/8" stereo cable which are common enough and easy to find.

You'll typically record an entire album in two big wave files (sides A & B). You'll then need to break the waves into individual song files (still waves of course) and burn the songs using the "disc at once" mode of your CD burner/software. The purpose of breaking the large waves up is that most shareware wave editors don't allow you to drop track markers. The purpose of burning "disc at once" is to eliminate the standard 2 second pause between tracks that is standard when burning "track at once". See your CD authoring software docs for more information.

Depending on the quality of the built in sound on that HP, you may or may not get good results.

Slackmaster 2000

Back