Sampling Questions

Eddie N

10 Inch Member
.wav file : this is the windows extension for sound files.. they are data files in the truest sense of the word..

cds : these are technically data files with the extension .cda seen by windows... your cd player can read these files and convert the binary code into music.. a cdplayer cant do that with wav files..

a cd is a music cd..a cd-rom is a data cd.. if they are advertising .wav samples on a cd-rom, that means they are data intended for computer use , if they are advertising cd samples on a cd , they are more intended for a "sampler like" envirnment.. (ie you play the cd in a cd player and record the music into a sampler) .. be aware though , that you can use cd samples on a computer by ripping the cda file off the disc and converting to wav with a program , but thats another thread..

hope this helped...

- eddie -

also a cd can also be a cd-rom .. its called an "enhanced cd" .. many new pop acts are using them now adays.. they can be played on a regular cd player , and when inserted into a cd-rom drive , they have interactive data on them such as games or possibly music videos..

- eddie -

I'm contemplating getting into the world of sample CDs...But have become perplexed and disoriented. There seems to be some differentiation between and "audio" track and a .wav track. I had thought that audio and .wav were one and the same. Similarly, I have read that there are "audio" CDs and CD-Roms. I had thought that CDs were CD-Roms so I guess this plants me squarely in the newbie category here. Can anyone clarify this before I wander off in a glossarial haze? Thanx.

Also... pay attention that a CD ROM can be of a specific format depending on the sampler you have.
Akai,Kurzweil,Roland, Etc...

Not every sampler can read every format.

Back