Sampling Question

MULEFAN

Looking for some advice on using a sampler. What I'd like to try is using a stand-alone sampler to make some drum loops. Route my live drums sub-mix into a sampler and play for a few minutes, then make a drum track using the few measures that I actually play well. I don't use a computer to record so that's why I'm thinking stand-alone sampler unit. Any recommendations on which box might be good for this ?

Thanks- Steve Z.

s950

I have an akai s900. Check that out! Also, check out the akai s950... the 950 records up to 60 secs of good quality (I think). They may not have a lot of recording time on them, but these boxes sure have a nice 12 bit vibe going on. :)

This would be so much easier in a DAW... Sounds like you just want to comp a good drum track from the best pieces of your performance...

A sampler would be ideal for replacing the drum sounds by triggering them (hardware triggers installed on the drum heads as you perform... or software triggering base on the peaks of the recorded drum tracks)

Sampler was never designed to record a performance... but to create a performance, from sampled sounds.

A decent computer would probably run you less than a decent sampler. And less and less studio sampling is being done on hardware units (I've sold all of mine)... these are now generally use for live performance because of their stability.

software samplers, best thing you can get for the money and usuability. The best ease of use VS. featurerich sampler ive used is NI kontakt. Everyone says gigastudio but that had to be the most confusing software ive ever used.

MULEFAN said:
Looking for some advice on using a sampler. What I'd like to try is using a stand-alone sampler to make some drum loops. Route my live drums sub-mix into a sampler and play for a few minutes, then make a drum track using the few measures that I actually play well. I don't use a computer to record so that's why I'm thinking stand-alone sampler unit. Any recommendations on which box might be good for this ?
The S900 and S950 have postage stamp memories by modern standards, and you'd need to learn to use them.

For what you want to do this might be the way to go. It has stereo mics built in so you could just experiment with placing it in different places in the room where you have your drums until you get a decent mix of the kit, then cut and paste the good few bars --- this will build valuable looping skills --- and then play over them.

Back