samples

jusballin

i was just reading over some previous post and trying to get an understanding. i have a cd im almost ready to release that does have some samples in it.

1. was everyone stating since im not moving 500,000 units that i shouldnt worry about getting the samples cleared.

2. if i do get the samples cleared does anyone have any idea what it would cost

holla

YOU WILL PAY

Depending on what length of the samples and the artist, also taken into consideration was that song a hit in it's day, is the artist still alive, or are they sound bits.

In any calculation over 500,000 or 5000 if you are selling YOUR WORK, in conjunction with OTHER RECORDED WORKS, your asking for trouble, simple and plain. In other words if you sell in the North East region without the big bIG BIG BUZZ you maybe O.K.

but you want to be a star (hip hop star that is) :D

so your gonna do a video, marketing, public appearances, showcases -- that OPENS YOU UP AGAIN to whole ishtload of problems if your song with the sample is heard by that COMPANY, ARTIST, PRODUCTION COMPANY or whatever.

Hey look what happened to DJ Quick/Aftermath/Truth Hurts.....

Believe me you PAY in the end, sample clearance ranges in the $1,000 - $1,000,000 and sometimes the ARTIST gets to demand a price (so who know what the hell that may be)

All I know is most hip hop cats always do this, make a CD and think of the conseqences later -- if you are really nice with yours, you should have been that way from the beginning creating and making your own beats (no lifting of anyone's particular voice,sound,groove,track) but I know the game, this is hip hop in it's nature -- but best believe the big dogs PAY big time to even clear it --- that's why it sounds so good --- but believe me THEY PAY

das my wurd One...

I mean everything that Mstudio said is true... If you can afford to negiotiate and pay for sample clearance prior to releasing material I suggest you do that...

But if you are an indy and don't have a budget I would put out the material and make a deal later ofcourse you will be at the mercy of the sample owner (normally the label) , but it may end up being worth it because now you are out and have fan base......

Your earnings from that particular compostion may be very little after they sue you, but look at it as you did to get the fan base and now that you gott em you put out some new ish were you negiotiate sample clearance the proper way....

Gen. Raticus

The bottom line is this you can make your song without clearance if you want but if it turns out to be a hit or gets noticed you will pay more than you think. Getting clearance before is the smartest move. If the song blows up and you didn't get clearance then you broke the law. At that point the fine and settlement will be greater than if you sought to get clearance because they feel they must teach you a lesson. You expect the song to move or you would not have made it. here are a couple of people to keep in mind when you are deciding

People who got sued for sample clearances
Biz Markie 500,000
Peter Gunz and Lord Tariq 750,000 plus royalties
De La Soul for Plug tunin
Tone Loc
Puff Daddy 2 million All I need Remix
Sugar Hill Gang for Rappers delight

All of these cats were not bigtime superstars when they got sued. Most were just starting out.

Guys feel free to add anybody I forgot

Raticus & Soundboy

Yeah, that's what I was trying to convey to JUSBALLIN, you can do it, but damn if it aint like having sex with 20 bad chicks and 5 years later you like, "I caught WHAT" (3 letters).

You play you pay ---eventually---

and if you get over (looking left, looking right) I happy for you fam
but never rest on just LUCK, cause as easy as it came, it can go.

JUSBALLIN
you know the game, dont side step it, face it

thanks for all the advice. the song is no doubt a hit so i will do it the right way.

1. now how do i go about getting the sample cleared?

Back