Sample this!

Prism

I'm recording a Christmas CD with my friend and her group. I have an MP3 online of a sample song. The performance is great, but I feel like I'm not doing something right.. like there's something missing. The song is acapella.
Any criticism or suggestions are totally welcome.
The URL is http://www.iEyre.com/camerata
You'll find the link there.

Thanks,
Isaiah

Well I'm disappointed. 13 people have visited this thread, and nobody has said a thing. :(
I think I'll go jump off a bridge.

Isaiah

Dude,

You have to give people a chance - not everyone has the speed to download 3 Meg files very quickly... ;)

Anyways, I took a listen - using headphones just on my computer and also the computer monitors, so I can't give you a full critique based on how it would sound in my control room... but it would be similar to checking a mix on Auratones, I suppose...

Some things that jumped out at me -
: the singers are talented, so there is no need to bury them in as much effect (reverb) as you have.
: When deciding on a type of reverb, try to picture what kind of ambient setting you want the talent to be in, then try to dial that up. You want to try to get as close to a "real space" as possible. "How would these singers sound in a concert hall, church, room, etc...", "Where do I want to place them in that room (up close, far back...)"
: There is a noticeable sibilance problem - if it's not in the original track, it may have been due to the conversion to mp3/wav, otherwise you probably need to run a de-esser

Other than these technicalities - very nice performance - these ladies can definitely sing... my compliments! :)

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

Thanks for the comments. And you're right. I was concerned about the reverb a little bit. I was planning on remastering it again. One reason there's too much sibilance is the way I have to get it into my PC. When I connect the 1/L 2/R jacks on my 688 to the input of my sound card, I get this nasty hum. So what I do is, I downmix it to another cassette deck (which sounds just fine with no hum) then I hook the cassette deck to the computer. It's frustrating. Do you know of any cheap/free programs that can perform a hiss removal? I just finished "Winter Wonderland" and I think it sounds better than what you heard. As soon as I get an MP3, I will upload it.

Thanks again,
Isaiah

any program that will remove hiss will degrade everything in your sound . its not worth it. get rid of the hiss at its roots.

Well that's a bummer. I think that my 2nd attempt at downmixing went better. As soon as I have it ready, I'll let you compare the two and (hopefully) see the improvement.

Isaiah

Back