Sample reinforcement...thumbs up

FattMusiek

For a long time I've been somewhat against the use of drum samples. I'm here to say that this mentality has only hindered me as most of what is produced today uses them. I'm amazed at what some good samples can do to basement drum tracks. With proper compression and limiting, you can achieve a very fat and polished sound that really jumps out at you. I'm excited about my current recording project because the foundation tracks are solid so the consequent tracks will have to be up to par. This can only be a good thing for the final outcome.

If you were like me, hesitant to embrace sample reinforcement because of the lack of authenticity, I implore you to try it. You might just be pleasantly surprised.

"Welcome to modern mixing, FattMusiek..."

Yeah samples sound great, but half the fun for me is trying to get good sounds the natural way.

Yep. Me too. I love the challenge of saying I recorded that. But I'm like FattMusiek too, in that I'll do samples too. My last project I only sample replaced the kick. Got the oomph I needed (the band loved it) but the drums obviously still feel natural and real.

The funny thing is, as easy as it was to replace the kicks, all it really did was motivate me to get THAT kick sound out of my kick & mics next time around. :D

Back