Sample library into external hard drive ?

Soulgolem

Hi, will be running into a problem.

I'm very interested in getting Native Instruments' Komplete.. I could use 9000 samples ! Thing is, the site says it requires 35 GB of free space... but I have only 12 GB at the moment :eek:

I'm recording with a laptop to an external firewire hard drive, is it a good idea to dump the libraries into that hard drive ? Would it be problematic, the external drive is faster than the internal, but I don't want to make it work to much when mixing.

Francis.

Soulgolem said:
Hi, will be running into a problem.

I'm very interested in getting Native Instruments' Komplete.. I could use 9000 samples ! Thing is, the site says it requires 35 GB of free space... but I have only 12 GB at the moment :eek:

I'm recording with a laptop to an external firewire hard drive, is it a good idea to dump the libraries into that hard drive ? Would it be problematic, the external drive is faster than the internal, but I don't want to make it work to much when mixing.

Francis.
I think you would want to "freeze" the Kontakt tracks when mixing (print them), no? If that is the case, then the external hard drtive shouldn't be working during mixing.

Anyways, I print all my midi synth and soft synth tracks when I mix, even if it is only for reference and I end up re-printing them later. Maybe that would be what works for you better as well.

What actually happens when you freeze a track, what component of your computer is actually working to compensate ? My internal hard drive is 5400 RPM... I'm not sure exactly how this feature works although I use it still as it's been advised.

First you want to make sure you have DFD (direct from disk) enabled. That way your samples stream from the hard drive instead of it being loaded to memory. Loading to memory is better since its faster but you need to have lots of memory and some of the samples are rather complex and take up lots of memory. How ever you may run into problems if you are using the firewire to write your audio files since it’s streaming the sampled audio and reading and writing to the firewire all at once. I wouldn’t load samples to an external drive and use it as an audio drive also.
If I’m not mistaken you don’t have to load all sample libraries I believe you can load the ones you want. 35G is if you want to load all samples. Check their website to make sure of this.

Native Instruments' Komplete is like,300 bucks(I googled,I know nothing about this program).Another 50 or so will get you a large capacity 7200 harddrive made in this millenium! :)

ha yeah, beezel bubba is right. you can get a 60gig internal 7200rpm for about 50 bucks off newegg. you feel comfortable putting it in yourself? it's not too hard.

Yeah, that would have been a good solution, but I record on a laptop and I'm often on the go, I got everything (almost) bus-powered, so having another external drive would kill a lot of my flexibility... Any other possible suggestions ?

Francis.

Soulgolem said:
What actually happens when you freeze a track, what component of your computer is actually working to compensate ? My internal hard drive is 5400 RPM... I'm not sure exactly how this feature works although I use it still as it's been advised.
It just converts your midi track to a wav file (and hence a regular audio track).

Well, I ran into similar problem when I upgraded from Komplete 2 to Komplete 3 as my system drive (where Windoze and all the apps reside) is a 40GB affair. I just installed the sample libraries on my music drive and have no problems so far. But they're both internal IDE drives, so YMMV.

I guess I could freeze all midi tracks when recording an audio part, and unfreeze the ones I want to edit, that could work...

I asked in another thread how much space it takes, maybe you can help me out since you have the bundle, how much disk space without loops and the vokoder, which I will probably never use ?

Getting the samples to fit on my internal laptop drive would be the best since I wouldn't need anything else when playing live (no external HD)

Francis.

If your motherboard supports SATA or SATA II you should go with that, it's transfers at around 3gb a second, compared to that of around 133mb for IDE. SATA is around 1.5gb/s. I currently run 2 80GB SATA II Seagates; one for OS and applications, the 2nd for Sonar project files. I have a 3rd SATAII 400GB Seagate for samples that has like 25% free space. It's blaxing fast. All 7200rpm. The 80gb's cost me around $50 each, the 400GB was like $160.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about your desktop, if I had a desktop, that would be the most convenient indeed, I would even get 10k rmp drives, the low space ones are not that expensive, would be the ultimate recording machine, but as I mentionned before, my setup consists of a laptop and one external hard drive (don't want to lug around two), I record on the go.

Back