Samick C01

jameslucas

Are Samick C01 Condensor mics worth a try for an entry condensor. I've recording up till this point with a live stage mic that I think hissed and had too much high end and not a full round sound, especially for voice. Are the entry ocktavias any better, I ask bc the shop with the samicks is far more reliable to buy from than the competitors.

Honestly I think you should go with the Studio Projects B1 over the Samson CO1. I used to own 2 CO1's. They sound very nice, but they have a noticeable amount of self-noise that will show up if your recordings are mainly just vocals, plus if you use several tracks with these on board the noise (hiss) will be cumulative.

The B1's sound terrific on both vocals and acoustic instruments, and they are very quiet.

They have a self-noise of 12db while the CO1's run at 23db.

Now if your recordings tend to be on the heavy metal side, then no worries on the self-noise.

The thing is though that the B1's are just a tad more $$ than the CO1's.

Would the B1 Mic be signifigantly quieter... I ask bc I would have to order it from an online source as opposed to my plain ole' reliable local music shop. If there isn't a noticeable difference, then I would prefer to.

If there's a Guitar Center near you, head down there and buy an Oktava MK319 for $50. This would be an excellent entry level LCD at a no-brainer price.
I assume you have phantom power available?

jameslucas said:
Would the B1 Mic be signifigantly quieter... I ask bc I would have to order it from an online source as opposed to my plain ole' reliable local music shop. If there isn't a noticeable difference, then I would prefer to.

yes, they are very noticeably quieter than the CO1's. at 12db self-noise they would be on the quieter side of many other mics, some costing far more.

Back