Same Volume Levels

Eluzion

Ok, well i'm starting to notice, some of my songs are louder than others, I wanted to know, is there anyway to get all my songs to be at the same volume?

Also, I wanted to know if this works for vocals also, so my verses will be the same volume.

There are a couple of ways to do it, but there are no automated ways, which seems to be what you want. The first way is to listen very carefully over a good monitoring system in a good sounding room and adjust the volume of each mix until it is at the level you want. The other option, also called "mastering" is to pay somebody else to do it for you.

Other people may tell you to "normalize" everything to a preset level, but if you do that you'll find out why shortcuts always come up short in audio recording: they may be the same level, but they won't sound good. You'll find yourself wishing some songs were quieter and some were louder, and there you are back on square one.

A rock ballad, a rocker and a ballad all require different levels, and the only way to find out is to do your mixes, burn a CD, and listen -- preferably on several different systems. Then you'll have an educated base to start from.

It's a good exercise in training your ears. In my experience, it won't happen the first time you try it. But recording is all about being meticulous, and this ain't a bad place to start.

You can do it easily by calling up your mix in the Edit View window, then raising the overall volume with either the Effects/Volume/Volume function or the Effects/Volume/Normalizing. Either way takes a little experimentation. Assuming you want to raise the level of the whole mix, press Ctrl/A first to select the entire song. Otherwise you may find you have raised the level of a smaller, highlighted area, and you still have a quiet mix...except now, it suddenly gets louder where it was highlighted!

There is a school of thought that says that more than the very minimum number of volume (or normalizing) changes should be avoided because of deterioration in the integrity of the waveform. But experiment anyhow. That's how you'll learn.

Back