Same microphone for vocals and guitars

Around

Hi,

I just recorded vocals and guitars with the same microphone (sm58). Does it sound muddy or weird? I have been listening to the track too many times.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
First of all, I love your voice. The song/mix is nice and calming. I think it works really well. I don't sense "mud." I see the slight muffle in the guitar as ambient and think it suits the song well. The only thing I have a problem with is the kick. Not in tone or volume but in its programming. The guitar is playing dotted notes and the kick is straight. It may be intentional but I think it throws the song off a bit. It's going "boom . . . boom - boom" when it feels like it should be going "boom . . . ba-boom," if that makes any sense. Otherwise, nice work!

Thanks propman! Yes, I was also wondering about that. I will try out another pattern for it, for example try to find the programming you're talking about. :)

First of all, I love your voice. The song/mix is nice and calming. I think it works really well. I don't sense "mud." I see the slight muffle in the guitar as ambient and think it suits the song well. The only thing I have a problem with is the kick. Not in tone or volume but in its programming. The guitar is playing dotted notes and the kick is straight. It may be intentional but I think it throws the song off a bit. It's going "boom . . . boom - boom" when it feels like it should be going "boom . . . ba-boom," if that makes any sense. Otherwise, nice work!

That's great! I think simplifying the beat instead of rearranging it worked better than either of the previous options. The only thing that seems off is the small break in the percussion after the echo-y guitar part that precedes the bigger break. It feels unnecessary and undefined. I really like this track, man!

Floreana, I stumbled on this. Listened to your mix 2. It's fantastic. I think it's an excellent example of using the SM58. I'd add, though, that the "master" version totally loses it. It's overcompressed, and too much boost in the 3Kish range. I think you're on to something with mix 2, as well as your songwriting and recording approach.

Here's an example of using only 57's to record a song. The All 57 Song by Kelly McGuire

Floreana, I stumbled on this. Listened to your mix 2. It's fantastic. I think it's an excellent example of using the SM58. I'd add, though, that the "master" version totally loses it. It's overcompressed, and too much boost in the 3Kish range. I think you're on to something with mix 2, as well as your songwriting and recording approach.

Here's an example of using only 57's to record a song. The All 57 Song by Kelly McGuire

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I agree. I was a bit sceptic about the high frequencies in the master version. I will try to change it some more. Good article btw.

Back