sam ash stuff

gibs

anybody get the deArmond orders from sam ash yet?....I just got an email the 18th that informed me the guitar I wanted is on back order and will take forever to arrive......but not a word on the pilot bass I ordered....I hope this doesn't turn into a hassle....

I noticed on the Fender discussion site that one of our members here had a really bad experience with shipping....his guitar was messed up badly......

cringing..............gibs

How can a DeArmond be on back order? I thought they stopped making them and are clearing out existing inventory.

Yeah the Pilot Basses were backordered too. Well, not 'backordered' technically, but they hadn't received them yet.

I emailed them on Monday and didn't get a response. I called on Tuesday, and a guy told me that they were getting them that day or Wednesday. On Wednesday, I got an email reply stating that the basses were backordered and it could take up to 1-2 weeks before they would ship. I called yesterday, Thursday, and a guy said they had just come in and should ship "today" or "tomorrow".

I might call on Monday, and hopefully I won't hear the words "we're getting them in today, and it should ship tomorrow", because I can't stand being lied to.

So far I'm not really upset or anything. If they didn't have the basses in stock, they didn't have them in stock. Nothing on the site implied that they were in stock. I do wish that samash had a "check your order status" on their website though. It's obviously irritating to the customer service people when you call every day to see if an item has shipped...but you can't blame the anxious customer!

As far as shipping damage, I don't think that samash specifically would be to blame for problems, and they do have a 45 day money back guarantee. I mean they ship out hundreds of guitars a week I'd imagine, and here and there UPS is going to smash a few. If you get your guitar and the box is all smashed up, simply refuse the shipment and call samash immediately.

Slackmaster 2000

Ok now wait a minute. I just called them again, and heard the words "they just came in today, and yours should ship tomorrow."

WTF? I can't stand crap like this.

Slackmaster 2000

my bass came this afternoon, despite my worry-wart thread...

came in a semi-form-fitting box (will be its case til I get one) iinside of a bigger Fender box.......adequately packed, too.......

no dings on either box, and no dings on the Pilot Plus....I went over this thing in the SUNLIGHT....perfect.....

I assumed there wouldn't be a battery inside so I decided to look....unscrewed the two screws but the damn thing would not come up so I could get inside....so I carefully pried around the edges of the battery cover and it finally came open...I didn't wanna mess up this nice red finish, which is awesome, I might add.....

there WAS a battery inside, so I plugged in, tuned it, and was mesmerized for over an hour....this thing is GREAT......

really comfortable weight to it, too.....

I get the tone I like by turning the treble and middle knobs to the exact center (it's ergo, so you can feel the center)....and the bass knob all the way up....the treble and middle knobs get way too trebly turned up...and the balance knob is what's fun to mess with using the settings above (for me, anyway)

once I memorize the knobs, I can take off the "3 band eq" clear plastic thingy under the knobs, which aren't marked otherwise......

I've been screwing around with this thing for about three hours now, and to my delight, it's still in tune.....and I had my doubts about those black tuners, but they feel really good.......

this has worked out very well indeed.....now, if only the guitar gets here in such great shape....maybe it will get here sooner than the email implied.......

sure glad bongolation gave the alert, despite the problem with his ax...thanks again, bongo......

praise jimi !......................gibs

:D :D :D

oh, I forgot something...Slack, be sure to look around in the inner box for the allen wrenches for the bridge.....they're in a little clear plastic bag in the inner box, but the bag is just loose, not taped to the box...I almost threw mine out with the packing material.....gibs

Here's my review of the DeLuxe, from another board forum:
===============
Well, as I mentioned in the post about the cat hurl, it arrived today (20 July) at a decent hour, totally unscathed.

I guess it's OK. Frankly, the whole business leaves me sort of nonplussed; this is so far from a "traditional" vintage bass of the sort I've played for so long that I don't really know what to make of it. I feel like a pup seeing an armadillo for the first time.

One heads-up: It really and truly _is_ in unfinished wood, not merely the matte polyurethane so frequently used for the "unfinished" look and feel...so you'd better keep this thing preemptively oiled up or it's going to look really cruddy from your hand grime. It may anyway, I dunno. This is why I bought the mahogany instead of the ash. The ash one at the local GC looked filthy from being pawed over by guitar-store mooks for months. The mahogany may be less grubby-looking over time. My guess is that enough "lemon" oil (actually just cheap artificially lemon-scented petroleum distillate in most cases) will keep it saturated enough so that it doesn't soak up the filth- and acids-laden grease from your hands. Of course, you (and your clothes) will soak up the cheap lemon-scented petroleum distillates, but that's your problem.

I'm not sure what the point of this (non-) finish is, and if someone does, please explain it to me. Maybe this is some fad or other...I would have preferred a nice, clean clear-coat over this, but I knew what I was buying up front so I can't complain.

The wood itself is OK. Nothing spectacular, just utility-grade mahogany, ash (maple?) and some darker wood laminates with some rough spots on the end-grain where the body curves. Laminated through-neck construction is nice, giving a strength and stability you won't have in single-woods. The lamination layout is very much like my vintage Gibson Thunderbird bass.

The allen screws in the bridge are way too short (as opposed to Fender, where they're always too long and tear your hands to a bloody pulp). They make it, barely, but I might see if I can find longer ones so the threads don't strip on these from just a couple of threads bearing the full pressure of the string. Small thing they should have taken care of better. The cast bridge/tail is nice and solid and functional.

Weight is light at almost exactly eight pounds.

The neck is pretty unexpected. It's a guitar neck, basically, smaller by bounds than the piano-leg neck of that awful Starfire Special I got. It's not as rigid as I would have liked, but I suppose it's all right, if "springy." It's set up for shredding: Almost perfectly straight and low, low, low action. This whole business of bass shredders sort of leaves me flat, but they'd love this bass for sure. The active electronics will no doubt have the bass shredders doing break riffs from _Seinfeld_ in no time.

I don't hear a good, punchy, bottomy bass from this yet. It's very twangy, which I suppose is the style now. I'll have to work on this a bit. With active electronics one should be able to get a pretty decent range of sounds.

Summary: An OK (if unusual) bass, delivered on-time and undamaged. A keeper.

# sure glad bongolation gave the alert, despite the problem with
# his ax...thanks again, bongo......

You're quite welcome!

Everyone loves these basses. I think I'm about the least enthusiastic about them of anyone, but that's mainly because I'm still trying to understand this unfinished wood business on the DeLuxe. I have no gripes; it's just a strange bass for me to adjust to all at once, and part of me keeps thinking I got beat because there's no finish on it. 8-)

These all seem to be new production, which is important. The 1999-production guitars (like the abortion I got) have been kicked around so much in the previous two-plus years that I think they are pretty well squashed and bent by the time they get to Ash. All the people complaining of the trashed shipping boxes and dinged axes are talking about early production stuff. Everyone one got a 2001 bass says it was in perfect shape when they got it. I think maybe FedEx has been getting a bad rap on this.

Interesting thing you left out about the battery compartment: They were thoughtful enough to sink brass inserts into the body so you won't have stripped-out screw holes in the wood the second time you change batteries. Nice quality touch! The way you get the cover off is to take out the screws, turn the bass face-up and give the body a swat with the heel of your hand. The inertia of the battery will bump the plate off.

This, BTW, is the same technique you use to get the sideplate off a Smith & Wesson without wrecking the finely fitted edge.

Back