Sam Ash Retards

starbuck26

Thought I might relate a funny story.

So I'm in New York for the weekend, and I get the idea that I might as well pop over to the Sam Ash and see if I can't work a deal on a multitrack recorder. I figure if I can get it for anything less than the zzounds list price, I'll take it. The exchange was hilarious.

RETARD SAM ASH SALESMAN: Yo you need help.
ME. Yeah, I'm looking for the Zoom HD-16.
RETARD: Yeah we got that.
[he puts a display unit in front of me]
ME: Can we plug her in and let me fool around a bit?
RETARD: No.
ME: Why not?
RETARD: I don't got cables.
ME: Okay... What kind of a deal can we work out?
RETARD: Well it's 699.99.
ME: Right. Hopefully we can do a little deal.
RETARD: Yeah, well I can't take much off, because that would mean less money for me. That's how this works. We make commission.
ME: Well, if I don't buy it you won't make anything.
RETARD: You don't want it?
Me: I want a discount.
RETARD: Right... [punches some keys]. There we go, that's a nice discount. I was able to take 30 off the price.
ME: Right, but with tax we're still talking 730.00.
RETARD: Yeah.
ME: I can buy it from zzounds off the net and not pay any tax.
RETARD: Well we have to charge tax. It's the law.
ME: Totally. So charge tax after you give me a 10% discount.
RETARD: But then I would make less money.
ME: Actually you're going to make no money.
RETARD: Why?
ME: Because fuck sam ash, that's why.

Totally ridiculous interaction. fuck sam ash.

Am I being unreasonable? :confused:

haha wow, good story.

You weren't being ridiculous in the sense that you were trying to talk him down on the price, and since I've been able to do that before myself in retail places, its reasonable to tell the guy you want to make it worth your time - pay less than you would online, where there is (in this instance) no tax, and presumably free shipping, or why else would you buy it in-store?

I understand his reasoning that selling the item for less gets him less commission, but apparently he didn't grasp the concept that you were either going to purchase at a lower price (less comission for him than in the situation where he sells the item at full price), or not purchase at all (no comission for him since he didn't sell anything).

Silly salesmen. My favorite trick is the "I only have this much cash" move. That'll show you real quick how desperate someone is to make a sale... when I was buying monitors at BanjoMart, I had 350 in cash, and told them this. I already knew what monitors I wanted, and after tax it was going to be 400+, so I just said "I got 350. If it can't get knocked down I'm gonna have to redeposit this and buy online".

Got those monitors for literally 350.00 after tax :D

The infamous wad of cash technique

That is a fine technique, the wad of cash thing. It does usually work. If I pull out 650 in cash and it doesn't work out, though. That is a bad thing. Times Square at 11 am on a Sunday with that much cash? I shudder to think what would have happened. :cool:

I just can't understand, if everyone can get everything cheaper on line, how these fools are able to compete?

Of course, the store is usually flooded with fools all day long. Usually I put ear plugs in before setting foot in Sam Ash. :eek:

The infamous wad of cash technique

That is a fine technique, the wad of cash thing. It does usually work. If I pull out 650 in cash and it doesn't work out, I'm in trouble. That is a bad thing. the chances of it being redeposited in its entirety is slim. Times Square at 11 am on a Sunday with that much cash? I shudder to think what would have happened. :cool:

I just can't understand, if everyone can get everything cheaper on line, how these fools are able to compete?

Of course, the store is usually flooded with fools all day long. Usually I put ear plugs in before setting foot in Sam Ash. :eek:

The salesman should have hooked it up for you and sold you on the idea that having it at your fingers to play with and therefore help you to make a decision is worth the extra money vs. waiting for turn-around from an online place, and whatever shipping/restocking fees you would pay for that service.

exactly.

The salesman should have hooked it up for you and sold you on the idea that having it at your fingers to play with and therefore help you to make a decision is worth the extra money vs. waiting for turn-around from an online place, and whatever shipping/restocking fees you would pay for that service.

Exactly my feeling, and why I went over there in the first place. As far as I'm concerned, getting a feel for the gear is worth a little extra money and effort, and the only real reason to set foot in one of those joints to begin with.

totally ridiculous...

And I'm not like, trying to record an album in sam ash to get a feel for it. I just wanted to plug the baby in and get a feel for the menus and ease of use, hear the drum sounds and cycle through eq presets. Just have a looksee. what an asshole.

Starbuck, if you wanted it for $650 you should have said so. That's the one major thing you didn't do. It doesn't sound like you ever said "I've got $650 and that's what I need it to be out the door, including tax".

The salesman would then have had to "talk to the manager" to get approval, but you might very well have gotten it for your price. The salesman was not very experienced or good, he could have definitely strung you along for a while and tried to get an actual number out of you, then bring in the manager, etc. He might have gotten a sale if he did so.

Then again, not every store wants to sell to any low-baller that comes in the door trying to make a deal. While you might think you are doing them a favor by buying a piece of gear below what they want to sell it for, they may not see it that way. You might not be the kind of customer they want. Seriously.

It's like if you go into a restaurant and order a salad and a glass of water and then sit at the table for hours, and tip 10%--that waiter will never want to see you again. That waiter will most likely refuse to serve you next time you come in, because you wasted their time and cost them money.

So there are two sides to this equation.

I agree.

Being an informed consumer is one thing. Saying "Well, if I don't buy it you won't make anything" is kinda lame. He's just trying to make a living like all of us. To say that he wont make anything, well personally I would rather make nothing than to sell so low that I make 50 cents.

Starbuck, if you wanted it for $650 you should have said so. That's the one major thing you didn't do. It doesn't sound like you ever said "I've got $650 and that's what I need it to be out the door, including tax".

The salesman would then have had to "talk to the manager" to get approval, but you might very well have gotten it for your price. The salesman was not very experienced or good, he could have definitely strung you along for a while and tried to get an actual number out of you, then bring in the manager, etc. He might have gotten a sale if he did so.

Then again, not every store wants to sell to any low-baller that comes in the door trying to make a deal. While you might think you are doing them a favor by buying a piece of gear below what they want to sell it for, they may not see it that way. You might not be the kind of customer they want. Seriously.

It's like if you go into a restaurant and order a salad and a glass of water and then sit at the table for hours, and tip 10%--that waiter will never want to see you again. That waiter will most likely refuse to serve you next time you come in, because you wasted their time and cost them money.

Good post and I agree.

I personally wouldn't walk in and say "can you cut me a deal?" Come in with a price in mind and work with that. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.

starbuck26: Was this sales guy the only one in the recording area?

yeah, but thats the kind of operation they got going there, you can hagle, thats the only way that they can be competitive with everyone.

anyone who walks into there or gc is just ripping themselves off by not trying to get it for a lower price, unless you are spending almost nothing, like on cables or something.

if you are going to drop even 300 bucks on something, you can get it for cheaper if you know how to talk to people. its not like they are going to get nothing for it, besides their is always someone who walks in knowing nothing and gets talked into buying something they dont really need for the full price.

the way i look at it, you shouldnt be working there if you want more money, same with people in the service industry. im not going to give someone money just because they make most of the money on tips, you have to earn my money, if you can not deliver then fuck you, you will get minimal cash from me. as far as commision people like samash or guitar center, they are making money from it, the least they can do is bring the price down to what you can get it from off the interent, and they have to at both SA and GC, if they give you shit about it, then fuck them, they have to.

the last time i was at sam ash, i was looking around only, i noticed that something was priced super high, i asked the dude why it was so high when at MF and other online stores were selling it for 75 bucks less. he told me that online stores dont pay rent and electric, what an idiot, of course they do, what are they running their opertations out of a hole in the ground??

its jsut ignorant and greedy ass hole people that work at those places that give you shit about trying to get it for cheaper, when i get that attitude i dont buy anything, i go to a competitor if i can, or order online.

i guess my rant is over.

ok bye

The Man

Yeah, I guess I understand your logic. But in this case, I think it's important to remember that Sam Ash is the Man, and any salesman working for the man would know that they're going to make more money in the long run by discouting prices and moving product.

When I buy from mom and pop indy stores, and not on the internet, I don't haggle at all.

It's just that when you walk into a shop, you're told you're not going to be able to try something out, and the guy says to you "if I charge you less we make less money," something is wrong. I've had friends working at these joints in the past. If someone hooks me up I try to do all my business with them. I have a friend at guitar center in NY, for example, who I call and talk to about every piece of gear I buy. Only times I don't buy from him are when guitar center doesn't carry something. Like Zoom, in this case, which is owned by Sam Ass.

And I seriously doubt I'd haggle him down to .50 commission. Especially considering the price of the thing was 700 bucks. Even still, if I did haggle him down to that low, he'd still have a buck or two. Instead of nothing.

Plus, fuck him. :cool:

Back