saffire 6 usb info!

Lucasj94

so i have a saffire 6 usb and a sennheiser mk4 mic. Im fully satisfied with it, but Im frustrated. My first song i recorded on it sounds so much more quality and my latter songs havent been quality. What do i need to do to make sure i get a quality recording. just small tiops would help? Where should the gain be, should the inst button be down? etc? any help would be greatly appreciated. I can also post the songs to show the dif in quality

No, don't press the INST button on the Saffire when using the mic - that is for direct recording of an instrument (electric guitar, bass). You want the phantom power (48v) button to be on.
What DAW (software) are you using? Typically you want to track at -18dB to -12dB, so adjust the gain accordingly.
Use a pop filter.
Keep recording, trying things, practicing. There's no easy 'this is how to a make a great recording'.

thanks man im using logic and yeah i have phantom power on. How do you know if the gain is between 18 to 12db if the know just has 1 10 numbers

How do you know if the gain is between 18 to 12db if the know just has 1 10 numbers

You are misunderstanding the advice. I assume Logic has some sort of meter indicating the level of the signal you are recording. Set the gain on your Saffire so the level on the meter in Logic reads between -18dBFS and -12dBFS while the instrument is being played. A quiet instrument will need more gain to get to the right level. A loud instrument will need less gain.

Back