Saddle?

Nilbog

hello
I keep breaking my A-String after playing for like an hour. The string is breaking right down at the saddle. Strings are getting expensive so I guess I should replace the saddle. :confused:

I don't know what to get.. It's an Ibanez ex series guitar and all the search's for saddles on musiciansfriend only come up with saddles for fenders and gibsons. Will fender strat saddles work? Or where can I find a place to get saddles that will work on my ibanez?

...or should I just buy a new guitar?

Nilbog said:
I keep breaking my A-String after playing for like an hour. The string is breaking right down at the saddle. Strings are getting expensive so I guess I should replace the saddle. :confused:

I don't know what to get.. It's an Ibanez ex series guitar and all the search's for saddles on musiciansfriend only come up with saddles for fenders and gibsons. Will fender strat saddles work? Or where can I find a place to get saddles that will work on my ibanez?

...or should I just buy a new guitar?

Take a very fine rat tail file, and lightly file the saddle.

That should do it, did for me.

GT

I'll give the file a try. The guitar is not worth much, so I don't know if I want to invest in nice saddles.

While you're at it, mark the slot with a pencil and rub the graphite in. If the string is binding at all this will help.

I tried the sandpaper idea. I used 220 grit thatI got from the store where I work. I sanded it a little bit, as well as rubbed some graphite into it. I'll say the string definatly lasted longer, but it still broke within one jam session. I'm going to try again, sanding it even more and see if it does the trick.

Nilbog said:
I tried the sandpaper idea. I used 220 grit thatI got from the store where I work. I sanded it a little bit, as well as rubbed some graphite into it. I'll say the string definatly lasted longer, but it still broke within one jam session. I'm going to try again, sanding it even more and see if it does the trick.

Use a much finer sand paper, but a file is better (and a new saddle is even better). I would suggest taking it to a repair shop though, as there could be something else wrong.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I put some Graph Tech saddles on ony of my old Ibanez guitars. This was several years ago but I think I got the Les Paul style saddles. I had to file the bottoms of the saddles a little to fit into the bridge, but after a little work they fit great and I had no problems.

How much money are you spending on strings? I think those Graph Tech saddles are only around $30.

Back