sad chord progressions?

I like to write songs using a major I IV V progression, and then just when everybody gets nice and happy, I stab myself in the face with a machete. It's not really sad, but it makes for a cool reaction.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

awesome.

Bah your all wrong! Major is the key of sad/emo-ness. Try This G, F#m#5addb9 which is e2 amuted d0 g0 b3 e2, then em, then csus2. Saddest ever. Listen to Secondhand Serenade and old Dashboard Confessional.

I believe the OP, shortly after he posted this (2005), wrote the saddest song possible and died of a broken heart.

IMHO, the saddest progression actually is in a major key. Repeat the following chords:

C
Fmin7#7

Epitath

Mozart's Requiem is so sad he died writing it. For true sadness major/ minor like C to Cmin in Radioheads "Creep" can bring on the sadness. Progressions smacking of chromatics Bmin, G, Bmin, Bb or a progression of continuously descending chromatics will sadden anyone. King Crimsons Epitath/ In the Wake of Poisidon are two mournfull pieces guaranteed to inspire melancholy.

Tune your guitar to Dropped D.

Fmaj7/D
0 0 3 0 1 0

Strum all the strings gently, a la Red House Painters. Sounds funny on it’s own, but use it with open C and Am7 (X02010).

Lovely.

It has more to do with technique than key. If you learn to play like me everybody will cry whenever you get your guitar out.

My songs are often described as sad but I don't think that's a reference to mood rather it's a reference to quality.

Back