Sad But True

Sounds pretty cool. What do you use for guitar? Sounds nice. You captured a really good tone. Good job on the solo also.

If you want, I could try some vocals. I don't sound much like Hettfoeld, but I like the tune. Get me an MP3 if you want, and I'd try it.

Reactions: P-J
Holy Christ!

My nephew, Mitch, is a guitar player and a die hard Metallica fan.

He would love this!

very nice....

I used to be a metallica fan before the whole napster incident, but they still are talented and this is a very good reproduction of one of their famous songs.

Kudos to you and if I could do the "gravely" Hettfield voice better I would take a shot at it myself ;)

Hi all!

Thanks for all the nice comments-- Recording is fun but it's even more fun when you get feedback :)

Dogman-- I will add a link on that page to a downloadable MP3 as soon as I can do so (I'm at work so probably lunchtime). I'd love to hear what you can do on the track vocal wise :)

The guitars you asked about-- It's just a cheap Epiphone Les Paul through a Marshall DFX-100, using an SM57 off-axis and the line out combined. The rhythm guitars were recorded four times and just mixed together using the faders and pan controls. The pedal is a Line 6 (erk!) Tonecore Uber Metal pedal, and it's the only Line 6 thing I've ever liked :)

P-J said:
Dogman-- I will add a link on that page to a downloadable MP3 as soon as I can do so (I'm at work so probably lunchtime). I'd love to hear what you can do on the track vocal wise :)

Yea, you just wait. Dogman will put fear into your heart.

P-J said:
Hi all!

Thanks for all the nice comments-- Recording is fun but it's even more fun when you get feedback :)

The guitars you asked about-- It's just a cheap Epiphone Les Paul through a Marshall DFX-100, using an SM57 off-axis and the line out combined. The rhythm guitars were recorded four times and just mixed together using the faders and pan controls. The pedal is a Line 6 (erk!) Tonecore Uber Metal pedal, and it's the only Line 6 thing I've ever liked :)

When you make a downloadable mp3 available, I think I know someone who will have a go at singing this tune! ;)

dwkman0117 said:
nice job - the guitars do sound great!! Question for you? You mentioned that you recorded the guitar tracks 4 times... did you record them 4 times or clone the tracks? And then what did you do with the tracks? Do you pan each guitar track a bit different from the others to create more body?

Nice job..

Hi mate... Thanks for the feedback.

The guitars are recorded 4 times, not cloned. They are not identical, but as good as. Two of the guitar tracks are recorded with the mic at a different angle, I then just used the faders to add more of the best sounding tracks and less of the 'not so nice' sounding tracks.

I then pan two of them left (75% for mic, 90% for line) and the other two right (same, 75% for mic, 90% for line), then use the faders again to make sure the L/R balance is fine.

Also, I put a towel over the whole of the amp and mic combination to reduce reflections. Listening through the monitor headphones, the difference in sound with and without the towel is staggering! I got a good 'heaviness' in this recording, something I couldn't get without dampening.

I'm still very much in the early part of the learning curve so don't listen to me too much :)

Last edited:
Quick piece of bumpage...

Just wondered if anyone had committed themselves to the task of vocalising? Dogman? :)

Back