S2K-Some setup advice?

dmcsilva

S2K or anyone else:

I've been trying to optimize my computer for recording and I came across this advice in the link listed below. If you get a chance, check it out and let me know if real benefits can be had from appropriating the info found in this page. Or, if maybe a seperate hard drive would help solve my dilemma.

Basically, I'm trying to configure my PII 400 so that I can use as many plug-ins as possible, while rec/playing back as many tracks as possible, without shelling out more
$$$$ for a faster processor. I realize this may be like trying to shove a marshmallow into a quarter slot, but I'm sick of bogging down with 5 tracks and a little reverb.

dmc
http://www.pixelite.com/windaw/win95_setup.html

Howdy,
I went to the link in your posting and read it. Have to admit that I got a couple of good ideas from it. Gotta tell ya you can only make your computer better if you follow their advice.

Yeah, I'd follow their tips...but only if you're using the computer for recording only. Most of the things mentioned are going to hurt your performance with other applications (as stated in the disclaimer).

If you're using the machine for more than recording then I would definately recommend multi-booting. The absolute easiest and best way to do this is to get yourself a second hard drive and a copy of NT4. I'm running NT4 and 98 on my machine and LOVE it. Other configurations (2 Win95 installs, NT & 95 on the same disk, etc) are possible but more difficult.

If you're only getting 5 tracks and a little reverb then you've probably been bit by the windows bug. I used to use 98 for everything and over time the recording performance dropped down to where I was only getting...well, about 5 tracks, just like you.

Recently, with n-Track 2.03 on NT4 on my little Celeron 500 system, I got around 14 tracks...each with 2-3 DX effects (can't get the knack of those aux channels yet).

BTW, I noticed that Staples has a 13GB 7200 RPM Maxtor drive for $129!!!! I don't know how long it's going to last though...it's a steal.

Anyway, go ahead and try some of those tips. They should all be reversable. But realize that optimization is just that...OPTIMIZATION. Don't expect to suddenly get an extra 10 tracks just by fixing the size of the swap file. Real performance will come with quality (WORKING!) hardware, a healthy OS, and last but not least, efficient software.

Slackmaster 2000

Thanx to both of you for the advice. I just happened to have a copy of NT4 up at work that may have to....ahem...accidently fall into my back pack on my way out the door one day. I'm getting a vision.....I see a hard drive in my near future; something I've been putting off. But it seems that my put offedness is causing me to have to put up with restricted recording abilities. That just won't do.

Appreciatecha,

dmc

Gee, I might know someone else who kind of sort of saw a copy of NT4 at work and kind of saw it walk to his house and kind of saw it stick itself in his CDROM drive and kind of saw it install itself. Hey, if a CDROM is going to be that persistant, who is this guy to argue?

I can't say who it was though.

I for one would never abuse the powers inherent to my current position...........

Anyway, do you have a Staples near by? You really might want to run down there and see if they're still selling that Maxtor at such a good price. It's hard to pass up. If I was in a pinch I'd have gotten it...and I'm a tight-wad.

Slackmaster 2000

I too was the software "tester" at work. I figgured I was doing them a favor taking the different O/S and programs home to insure we had no major hang ups on the programs at the office. Lucky for them I did that.

Sounds like our respective companies are fortunate to have good, decent, hardworking and dedicated employess such as us. I know my employer is so kind, generous, and giving, that it's nice to give it back to 'em once in a while.

[picture broomstick inserted into anus of favorite supervising manager, or managing supervisor here]

dmc

Gotta love good 'ol fashioned American capitalism: I just saw an Office Depot ad for the same Maxtor HD for $119.

dmc

Back