S/PDIF with SB Live!

Aren

Hi,

I had just installed a Hoontech digital I/O daughterboard that provides digital i/o for the SB Live!. While the digital output works great, I son't seem to have a S/PDIF in option on the soundcards mixer, and I don't hear any input from it at all! (Yes, I checked the "properties" section of the mixer. It's not there).
Does anyone have any idea how could that happen? I was told that the S/PDIF section on the mixer appears even when there is no daughterboard attached.

Thanks,

Oren

...What do you mean "not there ?" I got mine fine. Well... it could be the driver (I'm not sure), but I'm sure it's there. All you got to do is "show" it in mixer's play control --> Options --> properties. It's muted by default.
;)
Jaymz

Attachments

• spdif.jpg
    spdif.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 92
Thanks for the reply guys, I was out of town for a week (usualy am...)

Here's the thing - while using XP's native drivers, the S/PDIF appears just fine (I was aware that it is muted, or invisible by default). If I install Creative's driver pack, including the soundfont an Environmental Audio software (I'm using the built in Reverb for the headphone mix while tracking...), the S/PDIF disappears. Creative technical support had been less then helpfull, blaming it on Windows XP (Telling me to reinstall it...) or the fact that mine is an OEM card, so they don't have to provide drivers for it... geez....
Any thoughts?

Oren

you have to go into options, i can't remember which one, and it will give you a big list of all the differen't inputs/outputs/types of sound. And you have to check off the boxes beside them to pick which ones will be displayed in the control window. So go in and find the spdf input, and then it should appear with the others.

Again, I had tried this before. It's not the the S/PDIF box is not checked in that menu. It is just not there!

Weird as it gets....

Oren

Aren, I could be wrong here! but are you certain that your SBlive isn't the value version that has no spdif/digital in in connector on the board (as an economy measure) there is an obvious gap there from what i distantly remember where the board is labelled (digital or spdif)

Well, it does have a digital bracket, and it DOES work with the native XP drivers. It's the Creative Labs updated drivers that won't work from some reason.....

Have you tried moving the live card to the furthermost left slot in the motherboard. I have had problems with Sblives not being recognised by drivers that have been solved like this. I must admit I have not come across the exact problem you describe though.

Back